61

As the night passed, Regan stood awake most of the time. Quite a few times, she fell into such a light slumber that she didn't even feel.

The storm raged for some other hours and then, it seemed to calm down. Sometimes, Regan stayed outside, gazing at the storm. She knew she was going to have black circles and be tired in the morning from not sleeping, but a rush of adrenaline and excitement kept her awake.

She thought about her parents and Artemis. She didn't really care about what Artemis had said about Sirius's deal. It was the least thing she was going to follow. As soon as they would leave, she'd start the proper search for her parents and deal with Sirius as well.

Artemis and Cora were reluctant to sleep but they both ended in a deep slumber the whole night. Artemis slept in the old dusty bed, and Cora, on the other side.

As dawn approached, the remnants of the storm finally subsided, leaving behind a damp and refreshed forest. Regan, tired but determined, woke Artemis and Cora for their next leg of the journey.

"Wake up, we need to go. It's the right time." Regan said, her voice filled with determination.

She had kept the fire going and she was all dry. Straightening her grey shirt, she grabbed the cloak and wore it.

Artemis soon got up from the bed, frowning at her surroundings. She groaned in annoyance, not believing in herself that she had slept there, "Regan, I'm sorry....I said we'd take turns but I...." Artemis said, an expression of guilt over her, "What about you Cora? Did you sleep the whole night as well?" She turned to the servant girl with an accusing stare.

Cora's express took a guarded one as she quickly rushed to defend, "S-sorry, my lady. Lady Regan said she could guard better herself."

"Never mind. It's not a big deal," Regan said carelessly. "Now let's go and not waste time. Take that Artemis," she said as she gave the dagger to her, "I should have given that to you back then, but I forgot."

Artemis took Regan's dagger and hid it beneath her robe. Then, she picked up the hair clips that she had removed, and placed them on her hair again.

Cora wore her apron and cloak as well. Then, they all stepped out of the cabin, being sure that there was nothing left.

Regan turned back once more and put out the fire. She was reluctant to do first, but then thought that a fire in a hut and a hut with a lightened fire in a forest, could be dangerous.

She left and followed Artemis's lead. If she were to be honest, Artemis probably had no idea of the ways but Regan didn't have any better ways, so she kept quiet.

The forest had a slight difference. The tree leaves had turned into a blue color and the grass was sort of green and purple. As they kept walking, they came across a river and a bridge.

The river was flowing eagerly, it's sounds and waves palpable. It's color was aqua blue and the bridge was flat and just above the river.

"We're on the right path." Artemis said.

Regan and Cora nodded and followed Artemis. The bridge's floor cracked as they stepped. It was rusty and made from old wood, so it was normal.

They continued to go further and further. The tall trees seemed to go to a shorter length and soon, the ground was turning into some sort of pavement.

"Here." Artemis said as she stopped in her steps, "Let's cover our heads as much as possible and put the masks on. We must not attract any attention."

Cora did as she was told while Regan was confused, "Do I have a mask?" She raised an eyebrow.