80

As the night passed, the group turned to their tents before dawn. Regan slept for a bit, but she was restless. She couldn't calm until she had done something to help these people. Maybe she was acting out of the hatred she felt for him but her resolve was still burning in her soul.

As the sunlight crept through her tent, Iris came in and woke her up.

"Cornelia," she shook her, "Wake up. The officer is outside. We have to gather with the soldiers. The training."

Regan rubbed her eyes, her muscles hurting and she stretched her arms, "Is it morning?"

"Yes."

"At night. You know."

"Yes. But we have to go."

Regan yawned and slipped away from the rolling bed. She fixed her uniform and pulled her hair in a tight bun. She was thirsty and hungry but pushed it aside.

As soon as they left the tent, Jack was here, his face sweaty as if he had run a marathon.

"Damnit. This damn uniform is very hot. And I'm dying of hunger. Is there any place to eat here?" Jack complained, clearly in a bad mood. Regan sighed and glanced around, noticing the other soldiers gathering nearby.

"I don't know. I'm hungry as well. Maybe they eat in groups, damn them," she  grumbled, looking around.

"Whatever guys, let's go to the field track. Maybe they give food there," Iris said, attempting to get them to move from their spot.

Jack smirked, "Oh, you can't wait to see the 'hot' general, can you?" he teased, nudging Iris playfully.

"Shut up, Jack," Iris retorted, trying to push him away.

They walked to the training field and saw a mass of soldiers exercising and some other just waiting for their training. Regan was hungry, looking around, while Jack kept complaining.

Finally, they saw some tents where food was being given. The queue was long and big. Jack went there as fast as possible. He shoved the soldiers forcefully away and got stuck into the crowd.

"He's crazy," Iris teased, shaking her head.

Later on, Jack returned, shoving them again, holding some plastic bowls.

He gave two of them to Regan and Iris, and the other left, to himself, "This is the most liked food here. It was expensive but never mind. I paid with your money." He looked at Iris.

Iris rolled her eyes and began to eat. They sat on a cut wooden tree, the tents shadows falling over, blocking the sunlight from reaching them. Regan wasn't much affected but Jack and Iris were.

The food was indeed fine. If she was on Earth, she'd say it tasted and looked like rice.

After a while they had been eating, the general from far saw them.

"Soldiers, what are you doing there? Come to the track! Now!" He shouted.

"Damn him. I'm not going to go. I'll eat first," Jack said.

"Same," Regan replied.

Iris sighed, "You wouldn't want us to be thrown into a punishment squad, would you?" She asked, knowing that they wouldn't have a choice. "Come on, let's go."

They threw away their already empty bowls and stood up. Regan had never eaten so fast. She knew she was going to have an indigestion. As they were walking towards the track, they heard Jack mutter something about the general being a "son of a bitch". Regan looked at him, holding her laugh.

"You're just jealous, Jack," Iris mocked, patting him on the back.

"He will see it for himself, tonight. We'll ambush him on the way back to his tent," Jack retorted.