75

Regan's eyes widened in shock as she saw Iris. The southern girl, the one who she had searched for in the bar. She didn't know what to do, what to say. Maybe Iris wouldn't recognize her. Maybe she could just walk past her. She kept her breathing quiet and slow, trying not to draw attention.

Iris stopped a few feet away from her and raised an eyebrow, "Cornelia?" she asked, her voice slightly uncertain. Regan felt her blood turn to ice. She couldn't believe it. Iris was there and she remembered her.

"Cornelia, we've meet before, right?" Iris continued.

A wave of relief washed over Regan. She knew that Iris was still a stranger to her but just days ago they had set to end Sirius's reign of tyranny.

"Iris, I'm just in trouble." Regan said, walking a bit out of the neon wall she was hiding, "I need your help."

"Trouble?"

"Yes, I'm in great trouble, I'm being kidnapped by...." Regan trailed off for who to say, "I need to get away from them, they're going to kill me." She paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I don't know who else to trust, Iris. I know we don't know each other well, but..."

Iris hesitated for a moment, clearly conflicted. "Come with me. I'll bring you to my house and then we'll talk it out." She held out a hand, her expression softening.

Gratefully, Regan took Iris's hand and let her pull her up. She felt a surge of hope as she followed Iris through the streets. She was grateful to God for sending Iris, someone that she was searching for. They walked in silence for a while, the night air cooling their faces as they moved in the empty streets.

As they reached a complex of buildings, Iris walked inside one of them, Regan following her as well. They stepped into a platform that sent them upwards, the sounds of the city fading away as they ascended. When they reached the top, they found themselves in a small apartment. The floor was made of wood, the walls were white and blue and the furnitures were mostly of the same colors.

"Come on Cornelia, sit here," Iris gestured, "I'll get you something hot to drink. You must have been freezing out there." She led the girl to a plush couch and disappeared into the kitchen, leaving Regan to take in her surroundings. The apartment was cosy and she hoped that she wasn't found.

Iris returned a few moments later with two steaming cups of something like hot chocolate. She sat down on the couch next to Regan and handed her one of the cups. "Thanks," Regan murmured, taking a sip. The hot chocolate was delicious, just what she needed to warm herself up.

She looked up at Iris, who smiled at her. At the same moment, from the other door, stepped out a guy. He was fat and tanned, wearing a tank top and shorts, and had a cigar in his mouth. His black hair was pulled up into a messy bun. He looked at Regan, his expression lazy.

"Hey Iris, you could have told me we had guests," the guy lazily spoke.

Embarrassment crept on Regan's cheeks. She hated all men already, and now this one was making things worse. She couldn't believe she had to face another one. And the worse, what if he was Iris's boyfriend or something?

"Whatever..." Iris trailed off, "Cornelia, this is my friend and roommate, Jack. Jack, this is Cornelia, part of the rebellion." She added.

Regan didn't know what kind of rebellion Iris was talking about but she didn't say anything.

"Oh, where did you find her?" Jack questioned, sitting on the couch, his weight making the leather groan, "Which kind of rebellion is she part of?" He added, taking the chocolate mug from Iris and taking a sip. "And don't tell me she's from the Resistance, we both know there's no such thing."