62

Artemis stopped at what seemed like a tavern that was made of wood and other stuff. On the wall, there was hanged a sign in some weird language that Regan had no idea of. The building's walls were covered with vines of red roses and blue leaves, that stretched all the way down and up.

The locals seemed to enter and leave through the self-opening door, endlessly.

"Why did we stop here?" Regan questioned, furrowing her eyebrows.

"We're going to get something to eat." Artemis replied.

Regan was going to say she wasn't hungry but she wasn't the only one there, so if Artemis was hungry and perhaps her maid as well, Regan wouldn't prevent them from eating.

"Okay, but why here? What's this, a market?"

"Market? We are just going to buy something to eat and then leave." Artemis replied, her expression confused.

"I certainly won't enter. I've got an odd vibe about this." Regan cracked, her voice a hint of uncertainty.

Artemis rolled her eyes, "I can't enter alone. And if you don't want to come, I can't let you here alone either. So now, come inside and let's finish our business fast."

Regan shrugged awkwardly. She knew she wasn't willing to stay alone and she knew she wasn't willing to enter the tavern either. Even if Artemis would get food alone, she didn't want to leave her alone.

She took a deep breath and reluctantly agreed.

The tavern was dimly lit but not dark. Its windows were small and isolated but still could filter the light. The walls were made of panels of wood and other beige material. Weird and unnatural paintings were hung on them, adding to the odd aura.

The locals, males and females, were seated on different tables, as the space was large enough. They were talking, laughing and other weird things that Regan had no idea of. The tavern was filled with the smell of food, drinks and other stuff she couldn't quite figure out.

A weird kind of music was playing from some other aliens, that were using instruments and singing weirdly. She tried to seem as invisible as possible and barely even moved her head. However, she felt other's eyes on them and she couldn't help but feel anxious and vexatious.

Artemis approached the main desk and leaned against the polished wooden counter, her eyes scanning the assortment of bottles neatly arranged behind it. The bartender, a peculiar alien with reptilian features, had scales that shimmered in various shades of green and yellow. His slit- eyes glanced up at Artemis but lingered on Regan.

"Hello," Artemis greeted as she started to order some unknown foods that Regan had no idea of.

The bartender took notes of what Artemis ordered, but his haunting gaze stood at Regan, who began to feel the chills creep up on her. A wave of an unsettling sensation washed over her and she couldn't figure out where it came from.

"Hey, you....you don't seem to be from here, are you?" The bartender finally asked, directed at Regan, an evil smirk creeping up on his face.

"Oh, where the hell do you assume I'm from?" Regan sharply retorted, her unsettled fear long forgotten. She was angry, just angry.

"Well...." The bartender trailed off as he leaned on the table, "Beauties like you are uncommon here." He said as he roamed his gaze on her, "And I've never seen one like you before."

Regan felt the disgust creep up on her, although all he could see were her eyes, eyebrows and forehead, "Shut the fuck up or I'll execute you just right here and now," she snarled, her voice angry and threatening.