Chapter 8

New Years Eve 2011

FC Barcelona are hosting a New Years Eve party at the training grounds and everyone is invited. Families and friends of the players, all the staff, their families. Everyone. I was anxious but knowing Alexia and our friends would be there calmed me down. The plan was to meet Alexia, Alba, Eli and Jaume at the training grounds and then I would stay with them tonight.

That was the plan. But plans don't always work. Dom was having a bad day. I was trying to gently convince him not to come but it wasn't working. Over the last few months Dom and his habit had gotten worse. So much worse. You either had to walk or catch a bus to the training grounds. It was easier to take everything I needed for the day and just stay there all day, everyday.

We finally arrived at the training grounds at 7.30. Only an hour and a half late. Dom decided it was a super good idea to shoot up before we left which meant he passed out. I had texted Alexia and told her we were running late. I was starting to get even more anxious. As soon as we arrived I got out of the car. Not even bothering to say anything to Dom. I knew what he was going to do but I didn't want anything to see it.

I saw Eli and Jaume and went and said hi, then made me way over to Alexia and our teammates. Immediately Alexia's hand wrapped around and she placed it on my hand, kissing my temple. We got lost in conversation for a while until we heard arguing. It was Dom and Jaume. Alexia and I both looked at each other. Not knowing what to do. I could see what was about to happen, Dom has his hands clinched at his side. The look on his face was pure anger.

I ran as fast as I could to stop, just as I got in between them, Dom raised his fist. Next thing I remember was Jaume carrying me away while Eli held Alexia. All eyes on me. The medical staff that were present at the party looked me over, the police were called and came into the room. Eli, Jaume and Alexia were all with me when they asked what drugs he was doing.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Dom doesn't do drugs", a lie. I stared at the floor.

"Ana, please stop lying. I saw him, in the car. Why do you keep covering for him?" Jaume's voice was soft. Not mad or disappointed, just soft and caring. All eyes on me. Why was I covering for him.

"Please. He's my only family. Don't take him from me. I have no one else. Nowhere else to go."

It felt like everything stopped in that moment. My biggest fear was coming true. I was going to be alone in this country. Dom promised he would always be there for me and wouldn't leave me. But he did and he will again.

Jaume, Eli and the police officers left the room. Alexia stayed. Staring at me and not saying a word. Tears silently streaming down both our faces. This was it. The end of what we had.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've help. I could've done something" her voice was small, slightly mad. Not mad at you, mad at the situation that was unfolding.

"What could you done Lex? I've been dealing with this. I've been making sure he was still eating. That the bills were paid. I've been taking care of everything. You could've have done anything, it would've made it worse. And now, now he's leaving and I'll be alone again."

When you made eye contact with Alexia you raged. You couldn't help it anymore.

"Stop fucking looking at me like that. I'm not a charity case, I don't need your fucking pity Alexia. I'm sorry that my family isn't as perfect as yours but no matter what happens, Dom is still my family."

You watched as her heart broke. You knew what you said was mean but you couldn't cope anymore. Slamming the door as you walked out you saw Eli, Jaume and the police all turn to look at you. They called out for you but you ignored them. Ignored the pleas from Alexia and your teammates. Coming to this country was a mistake. You wished you were never here.