Chapter 26

The 2019 World Cup was fast approaching. First we had to get through the season and win the champions league. The group stages and quarter finals went off without a hitch. Easily getting through them. The semi final against Bayern was physical. I enjoy the move physical games. I think it's fun. A little shit talking, a bit of shoving. What more could you want. We won both legs of the semi final. Lyon bet Chelsea in their first leg, then drew in the second. Meaning we would face Lyon on the final game of the 2018/2019 season.

This was it. We were prepared for this. The trek to Budapest was fine. We were able to relax and explore the first day with arrived. The following three days were spent getting ready for the final. The starting XI told to us the day before. The atmosphere was tense. You can cut it was with a knife. As the morning started, calmness over took us all. Calm before the storm. We all had different game day routines. It wasn't until we had to leave for the pitch inspection that we started talking. Alexia was incredibly nervous. No one else could tell. The stoic look on her face never waving, but I would tell. The way she plays with her fingers behind her back, or the way she traces the lines on her hands. Those were her tells.

Silently, I sat next to her on the bus. Neither of us talking, but I held her hand. Giving her silent reassurances. The closer we got, the more her hands got sweaty. She tried to pull away, but I wouldn't let her. I couldn't care less about her sweaty hands. I wanted her to know I was there. I was proud and no matter the outcome, I would continue to be proud.

The game didnt go in our favour. It was incredibly hard. Lyon scored in the first 5 minutes. We pushed back, trying over and over again to score but it wouldn't be. By half time, it was 4-0. There was no way we could come back from that. Everyone knew but no one said anything of the sort. It was just to keep pushing, keep playing our own game. We managed to keep them from scoring in the second half. Ours attempts weren't enough. I was able to score in the 89th minute. Not even celebrating as I ran after the ball to restart the game, not wanting to waste anytime. 6 minutes later the final whistle was blown.

Exhausted you all fell to the floor. You'd worked so hard to be here. But it wasn't enough. It was heartbreaking watching Lyon lift the trophy. I could see the determination on everyone's face. We all wanted that to be us. We wanted to lift that trophy and we would. This loss is what we needed to became the best. It would push us to our limits, forcing us to be more, do more. This was the start of the revolution.

None of us really had long to sulk. The World Cup was right around the corner. Lex and I were able to run away for a few days. Flying to Cáceres for 5 days was needed. No one else but you and Lex. Women's football was growing all over the world and whenever you both travelled to major cities you'd get recognised. It was getting harder to keep your relationship private so being able to go to country towns and be hidden was extremely important to the both of us.

I was grateful that once again, Spain were in a different group to us. It made it easier, not having to play against our friends and girlfriends and we were able to support them secretly, the media calling it a chance to watch the opposition. Spains first game was against South Africa. They won pretty comfortably. Ronnie was so proud of J for scoring 2 of the 3 goals from Spain. I was just as proud with Lex and the way she was able to control the game.

Our first game was against Italy, unfortunately we lost 1-2 but I was able to assist Sammy on the only goal we scored. I knew Lex wouldn't be able to make it, with the RFEF still being assholes, she had texted me before the match telling me she loved me and was proud of me. After the first loss we were able to regroup, beating Brazil 4 days later. Player against Marta was insane. All the girls of course knew who she was. She was a legacy. The legacy.

Spain lost to Germany and grew against China, putting them into second place. We bet Jamaica, I got 2 goals and 2 assists. I was happy with that. Lex and J had watched from their hotel room, bombarding my phone with texts about how well I was playing. It was such a surreal feeling, having your best friend on the field with you and your other two telling you how proud they were of you. We also finished second in our group.

The knockout stage was next. It was simple, if we lost we were going home. If we won, we were through to the quarterfinals. We were set to play Norway. An incredible team with the likes of Caroline Graham Hansen, Ingrid Engen and Frida Maanum. It was going to be a tough game.

Unfortunately it wasn't for us. In the 31st minute, Norway scored. We kept pushing and pushing, ending the half down 1-0. Reprieve came in the 83rd minute, Ronnie shot the ball down the middle to Sammy, Sammy finding me on the cross, I was able to put the ball in the back of the net. Dropping to my knees from exhaustion. It was over, the Olympic dream was still alive. The final whistle blew, the score even. We had 30 minutes left to do something.

But we couldn't. No matter how hard we played, the ball couldn't find the back of the net, not for us and not for Norway. Penalties it was. Caro was up first, she made it. Sam was first for us, she missed. Guro next for Norway, made. Emily Gielnik, missed. Mjelde, made hers. This was it, I was up next. Miss it and we are definitely out. Make it and there's a chance we go through. I made it. The only penalty that we made that night was mine. Engen made hers. We were done. Home we went.

A few days later, Spain were set to play the USA. I was hoping Spain could be the underdogs in this moment. It seemed like they could when Jenni scored in the 9th minute, equaling the score. But as the game progressed, it was obvious how mentally and physically exhausted the Spanish team were. The USA won that match. Another penalty given in the 75th minute. Spain couldn't recover after that.

There was something comforting about being able to grieve an Olympic media with the people you loved the most in the world. No matter what, we had each other and that was enough. The Barca girls, including Ronnie and I, all went away on holiday before we had to come back for preseason. I celebrated another birthday with the closest people around me.

Lex and I went out separate ways after 10 days with the girls. It was going to be our 8th anniversary and we wanted to be together. We jetted off to Wales. Not Lexs first pick, but it was mine. We would be able to go on hikes, enjoy the hot springs and be together. Alone but together. 8 years with one person was insane. To think I'm only 20 and I've spent 8 years with one person? I'd never change it though. Alexia was it for me. I didn't want anyone else. If we ever broke up, I'd quit soccer and become a hermit.

The 2019/2020 season would be our hardest yet. Not in terms of winning or losing, but because of a pandemic that would take over our lives. Caro joined Barca this season. Barcelona management had decided to reduce the number of international signings, wanting to bring girls from the academy and continue growing the grassroots.