Chapter 40

Between the two legs of the Champions League semi finals, it was only a week. We returned to Barcelona to play Seville, this time of year was the hardest. The turnaround for games was shit, we still had to train and travel then perform to the best of our abilities. Given the Olympics we're coming up this year, I would be flying to Dubai the day after our game in Manchester. It was exhausting, the added risk of injury was there as well.

Lex wasn't an early sleeper by any means, she would however get into bed with me at 9pm every night. Usually she stayed up, watching a game on her iPad or just doing some work. We'd both get up at the same time in the mornings, expect for the day after a game. Lex slept in, whereas I got up at 7.30, it was the same time I'd get up every other day. It gave me the time I needed to be alone, to sit in peace with my coffee, catch up on laundry or go for a walk. I'd usually have 2 or so hours before Lex would just to wake up.

The Seville game was a win, by half time it was 4-0, Lex, Jenni and I were subbed off at the 60th minute so we could have a rest for the second leg. Usually, we'd stay on the bench and watch the rest of the game then go out and shake hands but we were instructed to start our recovery and shower.

Everyone's recover was different, we were always adding to it or changing it to suit what we needed. During my period, I used more heat packs on my body and I had more massages, whereas I would usually have an ice bath after a game, then again the day after and have a massage once.

I was the first in the locker room, ripping my kit off and grabbing my towel and toiletries. The warm shower relaxed my aching body. My forehead was leaning against the tile, the water pouring down my back. I was so in my own world that I didn't even hear Lex yell out to me, or hear her open the shower curtain.

"Baby?" She placed her hand on my shoulder, it scared the shit out of me causing me to lose my balance.

"Dios mío. ¿Estás bien? Siento no haber querido asustarte." Her arms were wrapped tightly around me.

"I'm fine Ale. Just tired." She hummed, unconvinced. It was the truth. Mentally and physically I was tired. Not particularly prepared for the Olympics and the worries about COVID.

"Have you had your ice bath yet, amor?"

"No. I didn't realise how long I'd been in the shower for."

"Okay, let's go. I'll bring you a change of clothes, then you can have your massage and we will go straight home. You need sleep obviously." As she went to walk away I yanked her back, pout at her. I wanted a kiss and she knew that. She laughed and then leaned in, giving me a kiss so full of love, I could've cried.

The massage was the best thing I've ever felt. My body was so sore and so tired. I don't even remember falling asleep. Lex walked back in and found me fast asleep on the table, she gave the physio a curious look.

"She said she was really tired and hasn't been sleeping well. I wasn't going to wake her but she's good to go if you want to?" She gave him a quick thanks as he left the room.

"Baby?" She said softly as she moved the hair out of my face.

"Hm?" I was comfortable, a bit cold but sleepy nonetheless.

"Wake up baby. It's time to go home."

The drive home seemed to drag. Thankfully Lex didn't force me to talk, noticing how exhausted I truly was. I didn't even notice until now. I knew I was tired, but not this tired. As soon as we made it home, I kicked off my shoes. Throwing my bag near the laundry and falling face first into the couch. A content sigh leaving my mouth.

"No no bebita. You're not sleeping on the couch. Up and into bed."

Groaning, I turned around. Glaring at the love of my life who was standing there, one raised eyebrow and arms crossed over her chest. "No. I'm not moving."

"Fine. We will do it my way then." She lifted me up, throwing me over her shoulder and carrying me as if I weighed nothing.

She gently threw me down on the bed, stripping me of my clothes and manoeuvring me around the blankets then tucking me leaving, with a soft kiss on the forehead she went to leave. A whine coming out of my mouth, right now all I wanted was to cuddle into her and sleep for the next week.

"Relax. I'm putting the laundry on then getting water. I'll be back."

Tomorrow we had a light training before travelling to Manchester, but all that matter right now was being in the comfort and safety of Alexia's arms.

Before we knew it, our alarms were going off to wake up. I panicked remembering I hadn't packed my bag yet.

"Amorrrrrr. Come back to bed. I set our alarms early so we could cuddle. We have 20 more minutes."

"Lexi no. I've got to pack my bag."

"No you don't. I did it already. Your back pack too with extra snacks since you didn't eat much last night. They are all in the car already. So come back here please."

She didn't have to ask me twice. Throwing myself on top of her and getting comfy. I felt her laugh underneath me.

"We have been together for almost 10 years. That's crazy right?"

"Mhm it is. I wouldn't want to annoy anyone else."

"I won't be here to celebrate it. and we can't really do it early since I have only a few days before camp after the season ends." I shoved my head further into the crook of her neck, feeling the tears well up in my eyes.

"Hey it's okay. We will do something after the Olympics. A double celebration: one for the gold medal you're going to bring home and one for spending ten years together. It's okay amor."

We stayed like that for 10 more minutes, then the next set of alarms went off and it was time to get up and get ready.

Lex made her usual disgusting smoothie that she continued to say was delicious, it was not. It tasted like dirt. It looked like dirt. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was dirt. I checked to make sure we had our wallets and passports since we would be leaving training and going straight to the airport. The drive to training was fast, as usual. It was convenient living at the apartment because it was only 20 minutes, whereas the house was at least 45, 30 on a good day.

We both got out, meeting at the boot of the car to collect our bags. As I went to walk away she stopped me.

"Uh excuse me? You're forgetting something?"

"Huh? I'm not? I have my bags? My passport? My phone?"

"You forgot to give me a kiss." She pouted at me. Moving towards me.

"No. Absolutely not. You will taste like dirt."

"Ana." She whined, still pouting.

"Absolutely not Putellas. Good luck to you." I turned and ran. Knowing she'd come after me. I barely made it to the locker room before her arms were wrapped around me.

"You always give me a kiss before we walk into training. It's my good luck charm!" Luckily for alexia, I wasn't planning on delaying it much longer. Kissing her was my favourite hobby.

"Fine. But you really need to stop drinking your dirt after you brush your teeth. I don't know if I can keep doing this." She faked being offended, then leaned it. Kissing Alexia always feels like the first time. The fireworks, the butterflies, the feeling of being so loved. It seems we got lost in our little moment because before we knew it, we were interrupted.

"Get a room! There are children around." Mapi yelled at us, Ingrid covered Jana's eyes while Mapi covered Pinas.

AMC let out a wolf whistle from the other direction. Embarrassment washed over both of us, a laugh was heard. We separated and went inside to start getting ready. We had an hour and half of light training and recovery, then our flight.