Chapter 16

2015 World Cup

Your first World Cup as a player. You were move nervous then at the Olympics, simply because you were playing against your hero's in the group stage. Unfortunately, you had been ground with the USA, Sweden and Nigeria. It was going to be a rough time.

Alexia and the Spanish team were going through it with the RFEF. As always, they don't care about their players at all. Lex was exhausted before the World Cup even started. You let her rant whenever she needed, being there for her when you could. It was hard to see two very different experiences when it came to the World Cup. It was supposed to be an amazing experience but it wasn't all good.

The first game against the USA, you lost 3-1, you scored the only goal for the tillies that game. It was a rough way to start the tournament but you were prepared to do better, be better, in hopes of bringing home a medal. You were able to sneak off two days later and see Lex for a little bit. They drew 1-1 with Costa Rica.

Game 2 was against Nigeria, coming away with the win 2-0, Kyah scored both, assisted by you. It was a nice win, the team needed it mentally. You, Ronnie and Sam went and saw the Spain v Brazil game the following day. Spain lost, 1-0. It was heartbreaking to see Lex so down about it. You both knew you couldn't hang around, so after blowing her a kiss you all left, making your way back to the hotel for some much needed rest.

4 days after your match against Nigeria, you played Sweden. The game ended in a draw, again you scored the only goal for your team. You wished you were able to do more. Your shots were off, hitting the cross bar or going completely out. Your head just wasn't in it that day and it really showed. Spain lost their final game. They wouldn't be making it out of the group stages. Lex vented to you again about how hard they were pushing the team, the physical and mental exhaustion they all felt. You wished you could take it away, make her feel better but you couldn't.

The tillies made it to the knockout stage. We knew this was going to be a fight. We were prepared and ready to go. We played Brazil, beating them 1-0, it felt amazing to score in the round of sixteen, putting your team into the quarterfinals, the work wasn't done yet. Lex would call every night, telling you how proud she was of you, how great you were doing. You missed each other, so much, but she wanted you to know that not matter what, she supported you and was there.

We lost the quarterfinals to Japan. It wasn't a thrashing, 1-0, none of the team could find a way to get the ball into the back of the net. It sucked losing an important game, it sucked even more knowing your birthday was the day after and all you wanted to do was hide under the covers of your bed.

That didn't happen though. The girls all woke you up the next morning, putting on their biggest smiles, singing you happy birthday, they all gave you gifts, unsure how you'd fit them all in your bag to take home in the coming days. The last few days were spent we each other. You'd flown down to LA to enjoy a 4 day holiday with the team, before splitting off and saying goodbye.

You and Ronnie made the trek back to Barcelona, Lex waiting impatiently at the arrival gate. Engulfing you both in the biggest hug, telling you how proud she was of both of you and how much she'd missed you, and secretly Ronnie too but not telling her because she's hold it over her head.

The next few weeks were a blur. Neither you, Ronnie or Lexi did much. Going for a run in the morning and night but other than that, you lazed around. Recharging and getting ready for pre season and the season ahead. You all knew you needed to be in top form, the 2016 Olympics were fast approaching and you wanted, no needed, to make the squad.