Chapter 39

As the month continued so did the Champions League games. We had made it through to the quarter finals pretty convincingly. We were all playing our best football. Things with Ronnie were much better, and the team relations were at an all time high.

The first leg against Manchester City would be played in Italy. Man City had a staked team with players like Keira Walsh, Rose Lavelle and Sam Mewis, who could easily control the midfield, they had Hemp, Kelly and Ellen White as their main forwards, it would put a strain on our defence given the speed and skill they had. Their backline was just as dangerous, Lucy Bronze, Alex Greenhill and Abby Dahlkemper. Their bench was just as stacked too, no matter what way we twisted it, it would be a fight. We were prepared to give it our all.

Italy in March was beautiful, probably my favourite time to come. Because of Covid we still had restrictions, we were allowed to use our free time to explore, but we were encouraged to go to less crowded places, and open places. Monza was famous for its sports racing and their old buildings, it wasn't a massive city, but it felt so peaceful. The weather was perfect, not too hot, not too cold, the sun was shining.

As game day arrived, we had our usual team breakfast, then our final team better either the starting 11, our set piece takers then we were off for our team walk. Because the game didn't start until 4pm, we were able to have some free time after lunch. Usually Lex and I would watch the opponents last game together. Lex always studied the game, finding their weaknesses and ways to exploit it. For years I didn't care for it but somewhere along the way I joined her. After our own games I would try and stop her from doing it, especially if we lost but it was something she needed to do. To make her feel more in control, I stopped fighting it and inside would get her snacks and sit with her.

Unfortunately for Lex, this time I fell asleep. We were laying on the bed in her room, Jenni and Ronnie on the other bed, all watching the game. After maybe 20/30 minutes I had fallen asleep. Lex noticed straight away, turning the TV down and making the other two talk in hushed voices. I wasn't really a big napper, Lex knew this so the fact I fell asleep meant i needed it. She let me sleep until it was almost time to go.

"Amor." She gave me a gentle shake. "Nena? You got to wake up. We are leaving soon."

I jolted awake. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"No nena, no saying sorry you clearly needed it. Do you have everything or do you need to go to your room?" She pulled me into her chest, talking sweetly to me. This was one of my favourite things about Lex, to most people she was serious, hard and cold. Never letting her guard down when others were around or when cameras were around, but with me, she was soft, loud and loving.

"No I have everything. Let's go baby." After a quick kiss we were out the door, my hand in hers as we made our way downstairs to wait for the rest of the team. As soon as we got on the bus we separated. I love Alexia, I really do, but the way she's so serious and in her head as soon as we got on the bus, does my head in. I needed my mind off the nerves, whereas she sat and stewed with them. We were very different in our pregame rituals.

As we got closer to the stadium, everyone started to settle down. Mapi and I are discussing her latest girl, a player from Wolfsburg. AMC and Mapi had recently broken up, it wasn't pretty at all and it was very awkward to be around because I loved them both with my whole heart, but it was hard because they now hated each other. Thankfully it didn't affect the team too much.

The nerves didn't start until we were in the tunnel. Man Cities starting 11 was stacked. Insanely stacked. The biggest issue would be Lucy Bronze, Abby Dahlkemper and Alex Greenwood. Esme Morgan was their left back but considering I favoured my left foot I wouldn't have to face her too much. The thought of being bodied by Lucy Bronze made me shiver. Jenni noticed.