I'm Taking A Break, Thank You Very Much

Jennie heeds Yerin's suggestion and waits till she spots Jungkook alone

But it's when one hour turns to two and her shift is almost finished that she realizes, it's almost impossible to find him alone. His coworkers are always bundled in a group and it makes sense for them to stick to him as he is also a part of it.

She guesses someone as leaned back and quiet as him would want to be alone, but then again, his friends are not ones to chatter either. They just mumble a few things and smoke together. It's all just vibes with them.

She's in deep thought as she stares outside the shop at them, puffing their smokes in sync with the air. It makes sense. The air around him is different, it's almost as if you're with him, and you will feel safe.

She stops and blinks at her unusual thought. Safe? Did she just think of him as someone who feels safe?

She must be glitching, cause just a week ago, she trembled at the mere sight of him entering the store. Now she thinks he's someone who feels safe to be around?

Her brows furrow. Something definitely shifted in the way she viewed him after he saved her that dreadful night a week ago. Her instincts are starting to no longer make her tremble at the thought of him.

Well, so far that is only judging by the first look she had of him when he came through the door today, she didn't have the urge to hide herself in the staffroom like she always does.

But that's it.

She is even bold enough to think of approaching him and thanking him.

She presses her thighs together and feels for the balls that are making her feel so brave out of nowhere. But she comes back empty-handed when she realizes that she indeed, doesn't have any balls that grew on her overnight.

This single thought alone pushes her back from approaching him today, growing conscious, especially when she remembers the condition he saw her in that night.

Her face pales, and she draws back immediately. No. She can't do this. He walked in on something pathetic and saw her at her lowest that night.

That grateful pool in her heart she felt a minute ago is suddenly covered by the walls of embarrassment. God, there is no way he didn't see the way she trembled in Jay's hold, and he definitely must have also seen the hit Jay gave her on her cheek.

The hit still hurts, and humiliation takes over her head at the thought of someone seeing her in that condition. Especially someone like Jungkook.

This kind of shitty thing happens to most people. But somehow the thought of him seeing her like that burns her cheeks in shame.

There have been a few things that have happened in the course of her life too, and each leaves her with a lesson that is deeply carved into her skin. This one taught her that even love can be harmful.