Chapter 84

Damn Idol Episode 84

* * *

Due to protests from members who thought the word 'club' was not good, we ultimately decided on our identity as a crew.

Three months and one hundred days crew.

Crew, in the dictionary sense alone, means the sailors of a ship.

However, in the music industry, it is used in a slightly different sense. Should we say that it is a group of people connected by friendship rather than business?

Especially in the hip-hop or dance scene, the words hip-hop crew and dance crew are often used, and they refer to a group that comes together without a contract.

Of course, being a crew doesn't mean that you don't engage in commercial activities.

You can perform as a group or release a compilation album.

However, the motive for the action is closer to 'let's get together and do something' rather than 'let's make money'.

It started as a crew, but once it had a commercial purpose, it became a label.

A label is similar to a planning company.

The strict meaning of label is 'record label', but in Korea, all entertainment companies do it.

They plan, release albums, and promote them.

Actually, the members seemed a bit confused.

"It means that an idols who don't have an agency and haven't debuted... ... ?"

"If you don't understand, you can think of it as an independent agency. You can think of it as the five of us doing what the agency needs to do."

"Then what about your music activities?"

"How do idols usually pursue music?"

"Making music, doing showcases, standing in music rooms? Oh, going to an event too."

"Then we are also active. We're going to make music and do a showcase. We won't be able to do music shows for a while, but we can get invited to events."

Despite the explanation, the members became increasingly confused.

It was Koo Tae-hwan who pointed out the key point.

"Then why don't other idol groups do the same?"

Right.

If it were possible to carry on without an agency that takes a cut of the settlement, everyone would do it.

"They can't do it."

"Why?"

"If Drop Out or NOP become independent, would they not be able to operate?"

"No. I'm sure they'll do well."

"why?"

"Because they're already famous? Because there are many places that call them?"

"That's right. Because we've already proven it."

Drop Out and NOP are superstars in the K-pop scene.

"Then why can't new groups be active if they become independent?"

"Because no one knows them. They couldn't even prove themselves."

I nodded at Choi Jae-seong's words.

"So we have to prove it and become famous."

"How?"

There isn't much I can say here.