Chapter 25

Ryon POV

"What are you doing here!" I bellowed anger bubbling in my stomach. How dare he barge in the middle of my wedding ceremony.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked nose flaring and eyes piercing into mine.

"I should think that is a rhetorical question, Father. But since the plot has been broken, I will address you."

"You have the effrontery to talk to me in that manner, boy."

"I will address you the same way you have addressed me. There is no man dead or alive that will choose my wife for me."

Sibel mouth fell fully open, and with eyes wide as a saucer, she looked between us. With no words or sound, she just stared at us one to another.

"You will have this marriage, anol!" he barked.

"For your anterior motive of merging empire. For your self-plot, for whatever gains that responsibility is on you," I said.

"Everything has been made easy for you boys, so you don't have an iota of respect for this empire that made you this way," he drawled

"For crying out loud, this is 2023, and do not think for one minute I would stand by and watch you arrange my marriage for me and take that mess lying down. You must be a craze."

"This empire gave you the mouth you can now open to talk rubbish."

"What!" Sibel screeched in outrage as she searched my face. The hurt in her eyes, the pain on her face, the wound in her voice, and the betrayal with which she looked at me were enough to hurt my soul as well.

I never wanted to break her heart. But the moment I set my sights on her, I knew when I saw her young, beautiful, and innocent at her sister's party, looking like the girl I'd been waiting for all my life that I'd end up breaking her heart. Some things could be avoided. But others were inevitable. Breaking her heart was as inevitable as my war with my father.

It's the reason I stayed away from her and fought with myself. It finally hit me, the tremendous pressure I put her under with all my shit. There were moments when I could have come clean, but I did not want the look she now had in her eyes towards me. But here she was staring at me with that same look.

"This is your reason for marrying me?" she asked, and the pain in her voice was very evident. "I knew something was wrong, my gut told me," she said, looking into my eyes as a solitary tear trickled down her cheek.

"Can't you see?" I asked. I sank to my knees, my hands coming around her waist. "I know this looks horrible right now. But I will fix it. I will fix everything. Don't cry, baby. Don't cry, okay? Please don't cry, baby."

The words were meant to comfort her, but they only made her cry harder. My soul hurts for putting her in this position. My heart hurts, and... "I'm drowning here." She sobbed, and it broke me.

"I'm here, baby," I murmured, brushing away her tears. I will always be here. I will never let you drown. I will be your life jacket, your lifeline if that's what you need."

I kneel before her, watching her, my heart aching along with hers.

This was just the beginning, and I had so much to get done today, but I couldn't bring myself to just kiss her and send her home.

Dad left without another word. Maybe he saw her hurt or he saw my pain either way he left without another word and I thanked heaven because I hadn't another fight in me to deal with him any further.

I stood to my feet and kissed her face. Then nodded to Hawthorn.

Despite my feelings, I needed this done.