Chapter 29

Ryon Pov

I met every appointment I had today, and finally, seeing my unborn child and hearing the heartbeat was an almost perfect ending to my day.

I checked my watch and walked into the doctor's office fifteen minutes late. I would have gotten here much sooner, but the four appointments I had and then the traffic on my way here were a nightmare.

I knocked on the door and let myself in. "Sorry I'm late," I said.

"Hi," Fiona said.

"Finally, the daddy," Dr Harris said and pointed at one of the chairs in the corner.

Fiona was already lying on the bed.

"Nice to see you too," I grumbled. Dr. Harris worked along with our family doctor, so we weren't strangers.

"I had to cancel an appointment for your tardiness," she said, and I rolled my eyes.

Ignoring her rant, I move to Fiona's side. "Are you alright," I asked.

"I'm fine, how are you," Fiona asked with a gentle smile.

"Okay, you two," Dr. Harris said.

"With this scan, we can determine a lot about the fetus and its development. Just lift your jacket for me, and we can begin," "she said and we nodded.

"This will feel a little cold, but that's all," she added.

Dr Harris looked at the monitor for a long time before looking back at us.

"What's wrong?" Fiona asked and Dr looked back at the screen.

Dr. Harris removed the transducer and then placed it on her stomach again like she wasn't seeing right either.

"Please tell us what's happening," I said, and she finally turned to face us directly.

"Before I can confirm anything, I would like to do another invasive scan."

"Okay," I said, and done eyes watered.

While she prepared her space for the scan, Fiona and I were worried out of our minds. What could have happened when everything was progressing nicely? and now there is a possible issue? I wondered.

"You think something could be wrong with our baby," Fiona asked, voice trembling, and I hugged her.

"Let's just wait and see. Let us not over-process and worry ourselves sick," I said and Fiona sighed in my arms. It felt nothing like my wife. It wasn't the thought to have, especially when something potentially could be wrong with my child, but the feeling couldn't be helped.

Forty minutes later, with her blood drawn and scans completed, Harris labeled everything on her chart

"Ryon," Dr Harris said, then turned to Fiona. "I am very sorry to inform you of what I suspected in your first scan."

"What have you suspected," Fiona asked legs, bouncing as she took hold of my hand.

"Severe myelomeningocele," Harris said.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"the most severe type of spina bifida; the baby's spinal canal remains open along several vertebrae in the back, allowing the spinal cord and protective membranes around it to push out and form a sac in the baby's back."

"Oh God, No!" Fiona shouted and I squeezed her hand.

"What do you recommend," I asked while Fiona sobbed beside me.

"How? How?" she mumbled.

"Although there are many unknowns and no crystal ball to see into the future, I would recommend that you terminate."