Chapter 2

Ricks POV
***dream***
"Carl!" I shouted over the loud noise, my voice cracked slightly as my eyes swelled up with salty tears that were threatening to fall.

My legs were weak from running so long, but I had to find my son.

"Daddy! Daddy!" I heard carls soft voice call my name. He seemed so close, but I couldn't find him in the pitch black darkness.

"Carl! Where are you!" I answered back trying to find him, it felt like I could just reach out and grab him, but I couldn't.

Finally I put my hand out and touched the familiar fabric shirt that Carl had worn to school the day before.

"Daddy, I'm scared. He's here, he's going to take me." Carl whispered with tears spilling out over his baby blue eyes.

"Who's here? Who's going to take you?" I asked grasping his skinny shoulders, I looked around quickly to see if anyone was there, but like I expected, there was no one within ear shot.

"Him! He's here!" Carl cried as he dug his head into my chest, soaking my shirt and grabbing the back of my shirt.

"Let's go, I won't let anyone hurt you." I told him while lightly soothing his hair.

All of a sudden Carl snapped his head up at me and gave me a look that tore my heart to pieces.

"Dad! Where'd you go!" Carl screamed looking around desperately.

"I'm right here buddy." I told him walking forward. He looked like he was scared of me.

"Dad please! He's right here! He's going to hurt me!" Carl yelped looking at me in fear.

**end of dream**

I shot my head forward as my eyes adjusted to the dimly lit room.

I wiped the cold sweat from my forehead as I tried to catch my heavy breathing.

It was the same dream I always have, the one that wakes my up and sends me back home every time I sleep out.

I looked to my left to see Jessica's soft pale face still sleeping.

"Sorry honey." I barely whispered swinging my feet over the side of the king sized mattress.

I grabbed my dark brown boots and laced them up. Next I slipped my shirt on over my still sweaty body.

"I'm sure that I'll be back soon." I whispered kissing Jess's head.

She stirred a little but then quickly settled back in.

I gathered my things and made my way out to the car.

I closed the door and just sat there for a moment. What was I going to say this time to apologize?

"I'm sorry I'm an ass?" No, that wouldn't work again.

"Please don't hate me." Nope, I tried that last time.

"Forgive me, for our son?" Not a chance.

"Don't be mad at me, you run off to Shane too." Haha, no. Not that either.

"I guess I'll just wing it." I mumbled starting the car and pulling out of her gravel drive way.

Slowly I made my way back to the house, hopefully she is cooled off enough to let me in.

I put me key in the lock as I yawned. My key wasn't unlocking the door.

Seriously? She changed the locks.

**knock knock**
But I got no answer.

"Lori, I'm sorry please let me in!" I yelled.

I heard quiet footsteps coming down the stairs.

Slowly the door opened to reveal a tired looking Lori.

"I'm really sorry, please let me come in. We should talk." I whispered looking over her shoulder into the house.

"Please go away rick, this isn't a good time." She told me with a look of guilt in her eyes.

Muscular arms wrapped around her waist and the door opened slightly more to reveal my partners face.

"Shit." He mumbled retracting his arms.

"This guy? Really? Your son is in the fucking house." I scolded her.

"Rick, I had Shane change the locks. I don't want you coming back here anymore. I think it's for the best." She told me, not making eye contact.

"Is he making you say this?" I asked. "Please Lori, we have to try and work this out, for our son." I pleaded.

A warm tear rolled down her face and Shane rolled his eyes.

"What's your problem? Not happy enough that my wife is sleeping with you? Want me to sign over my rights to MY son too? Want me to smile and say thank you for helping rip this family apart?" I yelled pointing my finger at him.

"You need to leave rick, she asked you to go. I'll explain everything to Carl in the morning." He said dismissing me.

"Right before he goes to school? Ruin his day? You might as well buy him a puppy and then run it over in front if him." I shouted throwing my hands over my head.

"Please, don't make this harder than it already is." Lori begged grabbing my arm.

I shook out of her grasp and ran my hands through my hair.

"So you want me to leave? Leave my house? Leave my son and MY wife?" I asked slamming my fist on the railing, causing Lori to jump.

"Just leave man." Shane told me putting his hand on my shoulder.

I slammed my fist into his jaw and he stumbled back.

"No!" Lori yelled jumping In-between us, stopping Shane from hitting me back.

"Don't do this. Rick please leave now, we can talk later." Her pleading eyes were being drowned by tears and sorrow.

"Whatever. Tell Carl I'm sorry." I mumbled walking back to my car.

"Don't do anything stupid." Lori called after me wiping her eyes.

After I left the house I drove around aimlessly until daylight.

I filled my gas tank and decided to head back to Jessica's.

I turned the engine off and fixed my hair in the car mirror.

"Alright." I whispered to myself as I drug myself up to her porch steps.

Each step I took it felt like I was just digging my grave deeper and deeper.

I rang the doorbell and waited for the sound of footsteps, signaling she heard me at the door.

Sure enough the pitter patter of feet on her hard wood floors sounded.

With three clicks the door opened, I made her out more than one lock on her door. Some guy tried breaking in last month.

"Hey rick." She said smiling with a confused look.

"Do you um.. Want to go get breakfast or something?" I asked playing with my hands.

"Sure, I'll be right back." She answered running back in and grabbing her purse.

While she was inside I thought.

I thought about my situation with Lori, how I'm going to explain this to Carl. And why Jessica keeps taking care of me when I need her.