Chapter 4

Ricks POV
"Memorial hospital."

I immediately went into overdrive.

This cannot be happening, she has to be safe.

"Shit." I mumbled tapping my foot on the ground.

What now? What do I do? Just run into the hospital like superman and save the day? No, I have to think this out.

I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed a number.

It rang for a while until they finally picked up.

"Lori?"

"Rick, I'm really scared." Her fragile voice cracked.

"I need you to listen to me. Get Carl, and leave. Leave with Shane okay? Get out of town and get to a safe place. I promise I'll find you guys, be safe and tell Carl I love him.

Tell shane I'm sorry for the other day. And Lori... please don't die. I love you." I could hear her muffled cries.

She was silent for a few moments.

"Lori, did you hear me?"

"Ya rick.. Ya I did. I love you too." She answered before the phone lines cut out.

I packed up a bunch of Jessica's things, along with food, water, and other necessities we might need.

The roads were packed tight with people trying to drive out of town.

It was like a bunch of sardines in a can.

I drove the opposite way of everyone to the police station I worked at.

I ran inside and grabbed a bag of guns and ammo, then quickly raced back to the chaos outside.

It seems like the roads are getting longer and longer on the way to the hospital, the more I worried if she was okay, the more I felt like I would never get to her.

But I eventually reached it to see the whole place up in a chaotic mess.

I parked my black hummer in the woods by the hospital in hopes that no one will steal It, or the stuff that I had out into it.

I run in and immediacy slip in large puddle of sticky red blood. I look the my right and see a human eating another person.

A low growl left the monsters lips as it devoured the meaty, well built doctor.

If the doctors, which I'm assuming would e the most important people to keep alone in the hospita", has been taken over. I didn't see too much hope left for me.

Holy shit, this cannot actually be happening.

I quickly escaped and ran to where I know Jessica's nursing station is, but she isn't there.

Knowing her, she had a very sweet heart. So shes probably doing something stood to save a life.

I started running frantically through all the hospital rooms in hope that I will find her healthy, and still alive.

I reach the last room and bursted through the door, just to be face to face with the barrel of a shotgun.

"Hey hey hey." I mumbled closing the door behind me and putting my hands up.

My heart drops when I see Jessica laying on the floor behind her co-worker passed out.

"Oh my god, rick." Melissa whispered putting the gun down.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked walking over and bending down in front of her.

"She isn't bit, she just passed out from all the stress. She's been out of an hour or so." Melissa answers me.

"Where'd you get the shotgun?" I asked
Curious to why a hospital would be packing that much heat.

"I has it in my locker for emergencies. This hospital had been shot up before, and I don't know.. I was just trying to be safe." She answered in a worried voice.

Just then Jessica's eyes flutter open.

"Oh my god. Where is he?" She started yelling as she stands up.

"He didn't make it out alive... I'm so sorry Jess." Melissa answers wiping a stray tear from her eye.

"Who? Who didn't make it." I asked.

"Do you remember the guy I was telling you about? The one that I had been taking care of for about three months? The little boy that was in a coma?" She was starting to shake so I pulled her little cold body into my arms.

"Yeah I remember....It's okay." I say trying to calm her.

"I tried to do CPR, but the power turned off and shut down his life support." She said crying into my shoulder.

"The generators didn't come back on in time to save him." She was in hysterics.

"Shhh baby." I was running my fingers through her long blonde hair.

"We have to leave Jessica, right now." I told her.

"What about the other patients?" Jessica asked stifling a sob.

"They're all gone. And I have to worry about you. Now let's go." I commanded as she started packing things into a nurse's bag.

"Can Melissa come?" Jessica asked as I grabbed the bag from her.

"Uhhhh.. Yeah, yeah. Let's go." I answered and Melissa grabbed Jessica's hand and followed behind me.

We all started running down the hall when all the lights turned off.

"The generators turned off!" Melissa cried into Jessica's already weak shoulder.

"Let's go!" I shouted, as I redirected them into another long dark filled hallway.

I pulled the flashlight from my belt And turned it on.

"Why didn't you turn that on earlier?" Jessica scolded.

"I forgot I grabbed my by from the station." I explained to her.

It seemed like we were just walking around aimlessly.

"Rick I'm really scared." Jessica cried as she held on tightly to my hand.

"I won't let anything happen to you. Either of you." I said looking back at Melissa who have me a strained smile.

I could tell that both women were terrified, but there wasn't anything I could do but tell them it would be okay.

"Rick, I love you." Jessica whispered as she sniffled.

"I love you too. But don't get mushy on me now." I said as I kissed the top of her head.

"But rick, if we don't make it out of.." I cut her off.

"We will Jess. All of us, we will live. Don't give up on me." I cooed.

"But I don't know how we're going too..." I cut her off again.

"Jess, stop. We will live, I promise." I said once again.

Just then one of the dead, man eating, killers popped out of a janitors closet and pushed me to the ground.