Chapter 25

Ricks POV
Jessica is laying in a little white bedroom, a man named Hershel is keeping an eye on her.

He's a veterinarian, but seems to know what he's doing with her, so I'm not as worried.

"She needs blood, does anyone know what her blood type is?" Hershel asked, looking around the room.

"She's AB+." I answered quietly.

Hershel nodded his head in understandment.

"Okay good. Now is anyone that blood type?" No one spoke up.

Shit shit shit. Of course she has to have a rare blood type, cause why not?

"I'm AB+." Lori said, walking up to Hershel.

Oh yeah, why didn't I remember that?

"We need to get you hooked up. Patricia! Go get the needle." He ordered.

"I never said I was going to donate blood. I don't even like this girl, why would I help her?" Her smug tone made me want to scream at her.

"You're going to donate the blood." Carl told her.

"Carl, you don't tell me what.." Carl cut her off.

"You're going to donate the blood or I'll never forgive you. Jessica hasn't done anything wrong, and you hate her. Now get in that room and get your blood drawn." His voice boomed throughout the room.

Lori looked pissed, but she quickly turned around and went into the room that Jessica was staying in.

"Thanks bud." I whispered, patting his shoulder.

He looked up at me and smiled, "she did save my life dad."

..time lapse.. Two hours..

"Alright. She's stable for now, but she needs surgery. There's a veterinary school just a few miles from here, there should be equipment there to do it." Hershel said after exiting Jessica's room.

"I'll go. I'm the one who shot her." Otis volunteered.

"I'll go too. To make sure everything goes smoothly." Shane said, stepping up.

"Good. I'll make a list of why you're going to need." Patricia said, walking into the kitchen.

"When the bullet hit her, it broke into 6 pieces. 4 of which, I can't reach without tools." Hershel explained to me.

I listened deeply.

"And I have to put her under to do the surgery, she needs a breathing tube so she doesn't suffocate while it's happening." He crossed his arms as we made eye contact.

"She's a nurse you know. She could help you with people. When she wakes up that is." I explained.

"I plan on letting y'all stay until she gets better. But then y'all will have to move on after that. I'm sorry." This was unexpected.

"We could really help you. Upgrade the fences, help with the cattle in the field. Clean up, cook. Please don't send us back out there. We barely made it this time." I was practically begging him to let us stay.

"How about we discus this after Jessica gets better. Okay?" He offered and I eagerly nodded my head.

"Thank you Mr.Greene." I shook his hand.

"Please, call me Hershel." He walked off into the kitchen, probably to help Patricia with the list.

"You sure you want to do this?" I asked Shane as he packed the truck.

"Yeah, I'm sure. And don't worry, I'll be back soon." We shared a very short hug before him and Otis got into the vehicle.

"Don't worry rick." Shane called out the window as he pulled forward.

How can I not worry?

What if they don't get back in time? What if they die? What if Jessica dies? What if I never stop asking questions?

"Rick. Jessica's awake." Carol said, leaning her head out of the door.

I ran to her room to see Hershel checking her pulse.

"How's she doing?" I asked concerned.

"She needs the surgery. We won't be able to wait much longer." He informed me.

After he left, I sat in the chair next to her bed.

"Hey sweetie." I said quietly.

"Hey." She smiled sweetly at me, then sighed.

"What's wrong?" I asked, taking her hand.

"Just scared." She admitted.

"It's going to be okay. Shane and Otis will be back soon with the equipment." I told her.

She nodded her head a little and looked over at me.

"Rick. If I don't make it, I want you to..." I quickly stopped her.

"You're going to make it." I corrected her.

"Listen to me rick. I know how this surgery works, it's very risky. If I don't make it, I don't want you to be the one to put me down. Actually, I don't want any of you doing that. Let Hershel or someone do it. I don't want you guys to have to carry that burden." A tear slid down her face.

I wiped it away and laid my forehead on hers.

"You're going to make it honey. You have to, you can't leave me here alone." I think I was more trying to convince myself.

"You won't be alone. You have Carl, and you have Daryl, Glenn, Shane." She started to whisper at the end.

Then her eyes closed.

Her body started to violently shake.

"Jessica?" I stood up and shook her gently.

"Hershel! Hershel!" I started yelling and Hershel quickly ran into the room.

Him and Patricia removed all the pillows and blankets from the bed.

"Her pressure is dropping and her stomach is distended, which means she's having internal bleeding. she needs the surgery now rick. You're going to have to make a decision." He told me, his eyes looked worried.

"Okay, um.. Maybe we could.. But we have to.." I was pacing the room.

"A decision rick!" Hershel snapped.

If we do this surgery, she could go into a coma. Or she could stop breathing and suffocate.

"Do the surgery." I whispered to him.

"Patricia! Go get my medical bag, then I want you and maggie in here." Patricia quickly went out of the room.

God.. If there is one.. Please let Jessica make it through this, please let her love and be healthy. Amen.

..authors note.. PLEASE READ..

Oh my gosh! Is she going to live through the surgery? I'm sure you all know the answer already, but I could introduce a new main character.. You never know... anyways, VOTE AND COMMENT PLEASE!!!