Chapter 5

Ricks POV
The monster lounged at me and knocked me to my butt. I heard Jessica's pained screams as she watched me fight off the rabid human.

It smelled rancid and I was practically gagging. One of it's eyes hung dangerously low, threatening to fall out of it's socket.

The hair on it's head was pulled out, revealing a large bleeding bit mark right on the side of it's skull.

My arms are killing me, and my strength is fastly depleting.

The monsters saliva is being dripped all over my tired body, blood and other gross, gooey substance was smeared over my chest and neck.

Then the weight is lifted off of me.

"Melissa!" Jessica screamed as I looked around.

Melissa had jumped on top of the monster and was trying to kill it. Then it took a large bite out of her neck.

Blood spurted out of Melissa's mouth and more blood was pouring out of the wound and an uncontrollable rate.

"NOOO!" Jessica screamed as I ran over.

I pushed the monster off of her and smashed it's head in with my foot, luckily that killed it for good.

I crawled over to Melissa and she grabbed my hand. "Please make sure that Jessica lives through this." Blood was dripping off of her chin as she spoke. "I'm trusting you." She whispered, She then coughed and blood was splattered everywhere.

"Don't fuck this up" she always did have a potty mouth.

Her eyes shook in her head and Moore blood leaked from her neck.

Then she was gone.

I closed her eyes with my fingers and laid her body down on the tiled floor.

"Let's go Jess." I whispered as she cried into my already wet shoulder.

Jessica grabbed my hand and I picked my things up that I had dropped when I was attacked.

Eventually we were able to make our way out of the hospital unharmed.

"Okay baby, I parked the hummer in the woods." I said pointing towards the dark tree line.

She just nodded a little and followed very closely behind me.

The woods wasn't too far away from where we emerged from, so we should be safe to make it there without being noticed by the freaks.

We quietly made our way through the trimmed grass and reached the hummer.

"Thank god it's still here." I mumbled as I started up the vehicle.

"Alright. Lock your door, and hold my hand. Okay?" I asked and she silently complied.

I pulled off the grass and onto the populated streets.

Traffic was moving at a snails pace so I was just hoping that no one took the chance to try and hijack my vehicle.

"Rick. I'm scared." Jessica cried looking over at me with wide eyes.

"I know baby. But we're going to get through this, okay? Together." I reassured her.

We drove for about ten minutes when the car in front us stopped.

"C'mon!" I yelled slamming my head back on my seat.

Why would they stop? They know we're all trying to get out of here.

"Don't worry..." but I was cut off.

A man slammed his fist on the passenger side door, causing Jessica to jump and scream.

"Let me in! Let me in!" He screamed and he hit the door with his bloody hands.

"Rick." Jessica cried into my shoulder.

I pulled around the car in front of us and continued to drive slowly until another roadblock stopped us.

I pulled up the center council and Jessica immediately jumped into the next seat over and clung to my side.

"Shhh." I tried calming her.

I could tell that she was trying to stop from crying, but with every sob her body racked with shivers.

"Fuck this." I said grabbing the gun bag from the back.

"Rick, what are you doing?" Jessica asked sniffing and wiping her eyes.

"Not waiting around to die, that's for sure." I answered handing her a small, grey handgun.

"Rick, I don't want this." She tried handing it back to me.

"Jessica listen to me. It's just us now okay? Take the gun, if they get too close you shoot them in the head. Got it? Remember Melissa? I killed the freak by smashing it's brain." I explained to her tear streaked face.

"I love you." She whispered wincing her beautiful eyes shut.

"I love you too." I replied kissing her quickly on the lips.

"Now let's go." I said handing us each a bag from the back seat.

"Where are we going?" She asked putting the straps on her small shoulders.

"Out of the city." I told her opening my door.

"Do you think it will be safe?" She pondered taking my hand.

"I'm not sure sweetie, but I'm not going to wait around and find out." I replied as we quickly made our way through screaming, crying, and dead people.