Val Meets the Bay Window

I don't own Girl Meets World!!!

Something wasn't right.

Riley squinted as she looked around her room, trying to locate the "bad vibes" as Val would say. She pulled back her blanket, and her bed looked the same, some secret snacks hidden in the crevices. She peered under her dresser to find only old socks and dust bunnies. Her closet was full of clothes, her pens were arranged on her desk in a rainbow, and her pictures decorated her door as usual. Nothing seemed out of place.

But still, something just wasn't right.

Riley slumped down in the bay window and groaned loudly.

"Riley, breakfast is ready." Val knocked "Are you up yet?"

"Yeah, I'll be right down." Riley hesitated "Thanks, Val."

Val's footsteps stopped and Riley heard her turn back towards her room "Did you just thank me?"

Riley quickly opened the door to her twin's dumbfounded expression "I don't say it enough. Thank you, Val."

Val blinked, regarding her sister with suspicion "You're welcome, I guess."

Awkward silence ensued as the sisters struggled to find their footing. It was broken when Val's door opened at the other end of the hall and Maya came through.

"'Sup losers."

"I thought we talked about you coming through my window?" Val crossed her arms "Quit picking my locks."

"Quit making it so easy." Maya joked, nudging Val's shoulder "What's for breakfast? I'm starving."

"Pancakes and bacon are downstairs." Val rolled her eyes, looking back at Riley "You coming?"

Riley was about to say yes, when a thought struck her "In a minute. Uh, after breakfast, can we all talk? Like old times?"

Maya shrugged "Not like I have anything better to do."

Riley smiled, it was a start. She shut the door and quickly scanned her room again, looking for whatever it was that felt wrong. Everything was exactly the same as it always was and always had been. Maybe that was the problem.

Riley wasn't the same person she'd been before, she'd been vindictive and jealous and she was trying to change for the better. Val might not believe that yet, but Riley had an idea to prove to her sister that she really was different now.

Her eyes landed on the bay window. It had been a staple of her life for so long. It was where she and Maya had met, where they shared their secrets, the safest place in the world. It was still so important, but looking at it now, all Riley could think about was how they'd schemed against Val and Lucas.

If she was going to change, the bay window needed to change too. It represented who she was, it was time to make it represent who she wanted to be.

***

Bacon and pancakes were a staple breakfast at the Matthews residence. When she had extra time Val would make pancake art with Auggie, complete with crazy color, chocolate chips, blueberries, and the occasional marshmallow. This morning Auggie had requested blue pancakes and Val, ever the Percy Jackson fan, obliged.

"Any idea what Riley wants to talk to us about?" Maya asked, piling her plate high with food.

"Not a clue." Val snagged the syrup (also blue) from the cabinet "As long as it's not something that I have to deal with later."

"You've been following that train of thought for a while now."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just," Maya hesitated "You're more blunt now. More sarcastic, almost snippy. It's not bad, I kinda like it. But it's weird."