Likkle Miss

THREE YEARS LATER— JULY

BRITTANIA  MALCOLM

Half Moon Conference Center
Montego Bay, JA
July 04

•••

I sat in my seat with my legs crossed, lips glossy, hair flowing down my back and my attention toward the podium as I applauded at the speech that was just done by a student.

It was extravagant.

Glancing at the program in my lap, I realized it was soon time for me to go up and do my speech.

One of the male graduates got up from his seat and walked to the podium, about to introduce me.

Taking my phone from my bag on the empty chair beside me, I unlocked it went to my camera, and started recording him with a smile on my face.

"Members of the board of governors, Principal and Vice Principal, academic and ancillary staff, ministry officials, honored guests, ladies and gentlemen, proud parents and distinguished graduates, good afternoon," he began.

The congregation replied with a chorused good afternoon and then he continued speaking.

"It is with great pleasure and honor that I stand before you today to introduce a remarkable individual who made a significant contribution to the field of business and entrepreneurship in Jamaica..."

Then nuh me that bwoy.

"... there's a lot of persons whose performance has been judged, ordinary good, or even outstanding. Ms Brittania Malcolm, CEO of Unity Haven: A Tribute to Danette, without a doubt is a firm occupant in that category. She's a true embodiment of dedication, integrity, and passion."

Them ago make the doll cry and mess up her makeup enuh.

"She's a past student of this institution, yes, the Holland High School, not just any past student, the deputy head girl for two consecutive years, and after finishing her sixth form years here, she transitioned to the University of the Commonwealth Caribbean where she embarked on the study of accounting and finance management and completed her studies in 202*."

Purr. I did that.

But him a make it sound too simple.

I graduated Summa Cum Laude, top of my class and Valedictorian and I did my speech with my babies on my hips.

Brianna pan one side and Brian pan the next, loud and proud.