23

ROSE

The next day, Lev's right-hand man, Sergei, a large man with a scarred face, had finally arrived in New York City.

I had gone back to my apartment, showered and put on a pair of clean sweatpants along with an oversized hoodie, that did not cling to my stomach, but would in the up-coming months, the larger my belly grew.

I thought of the baby, and contemplated if I should tell Sergei about the pregnancy, because I needed to be able to trust him enough.

But I came to the conclusion that I could trust Sergei, because he had been by Lev's side since they were teenagers, when Lev rescued Sergei from a human trafficking ring.

Sergei had the choice to start a new life, but he didn't want that, he wanted to serve Lev and rescue other people like him from human trafficking rings.

In the shorter term, Segei is extremely loyal to Lev, or rather the work Lev puts to rescue other people.

The sudden knock on my apartment door indicated that Sergei had arrived.

I went and opened the door as he stepped inside the apartment, looking around, before turning his focus on me.

I asked if he wanted something to drink or eat, but he declined, telling me to get right into business, because I told him to come to my apartment once he arrived in New York.

I wrapped my arms around myself for comfort, and began to say, "Dangerous things have happened lately, and I cannot trust anybody, not even my own family or Lev's family..."

"Explain?" Sergei asked, standing in the hall with crossed arms.

He didn't use a lot of English words, that is why he kept himself from speaking long sentences, and used short sentences.

I took a sharp breath in, "Lev's mother plotted against him. She wanted an heir for him, and that's why four months ago she poked a hole in one condom, in hope Lev would get one of his hookups pregnant."

Sergei gave me a confused look, yet he wasn't surprised by Lev's mother's tactics because the right-hand man did not like Lev's mother, nobody did, except herself.

"Don't understand?" Sergei said, a frown appearing on his expression.

I sighed, knowing that the best way to show what I meant was right in front of his face.

"This is the result." I took the hem of my oversized hoodie and revealed my belly.

Sergei's eyes went wide from the realization while his gaze was on my stomach.

"Lev's child?" He didn't hesitate to ask.

"Yes, it is his child." I answered, covering my belly with my hoodie, and hugging carefully around my stomach because I felt protective of the child.

Sergei nodded quietly to himself, deep in thought about the current situation, and it was the first time I have seen any hint of worry on his face.

After a few moments of silence, he says, "Go to Russia."

I pointed at myself, "I should go to Russia?"

He nodded in response and said, "Not safe here."

Sergei was right, I would be safe in Russia, there are also enemies there, but I'm more protected there than here.

I couldn't sleep a wink during the night because I was afraid somebody would break into the apartment.

That's why I also confessed to Sergei about the baby, because if I wanted my child to stay safe, I needed a place to be safe and protected.