47

LEV

It was early morning when I ended the call with my personal assistant, who informed me that the private plane was ready for tomorrow to head back home.

There was only one day left until I could see her again, only one day, and I would have her in my arms. But that is if she allowed me because I did not blame her if she was angry at me.

After all, I had left her without any explanation, as she thought I had no trust for her.

I trusted Rose, but I was guilty of keeping her shielded, as I still saw her as a vulnerable person who I needed to protect.

In my eyes, Rose was a young delicate woman who I needed to protect, and each time she was in danger, my instincts told me to be with her and protect her.

Ivan, my right-hand man, told me that Rose had not been in the mansion these past four weeks and had been staying at a friend's place, at Perry's place.

Since she was not in the mansion, I did not feel at ease by his answer, and I wanted to go back now, to get her back home, but I was heading home tomorrow, and then I was going to get her.

I put the phone in the pocket of my khaki shorts as I made my way inside the beach house in Gran Canaria, as it was a two-story house, perfect for a family holiday.

It was right in front of the beach, if it became too warm, a person only needed to open the backdoor and run to the beach.

Rose would like this house, but I would sell it, because this was where Ana and I spent our honeymoon.

I wanted to sell the house, as this was an old chapter of my life, and I had no need for the home when I had a home to go back to in Russia.

Rose and the twins is my home now.

I headed towards Ana's room since we slept in separate bedrooms, and I saw that the personal nurse came out from Ana's room, closing the door behind her.

She did not see me at first as she made her way out of the hall, but once she caught sight of me, the nurse slightly bowed her head and then peered at me.

"How is her condition?" I asked the nurse who was standing in front of me.

"She's in constant pain, but I gave her painkillers to ease the pain. But she does not have much time left, I don't think she will make it until tomorrow. It is best to say goodbye now." The nurse explained.

I nodded, as the nurse walked away from me, and towards her own personal bedroom, since she took care of Ana throughout the day and night.

I headed towards Ana's bedroom, opening the door as the woman laid in bed, as her body had readily weakened, and she could no longer walk nor move, she was practically a dead person.

She slowly turned her head in my direction since she had been looking out the window, at the sunrise, as it would be the last time she saw the beauty of the sun.

I took a seat on the chair beside the bed, as she looked at, and she tried to reach her hand out for mine, but she could not, her body was thin and weak, even the bones were clearly visible.

"Are you... here to say... goodbye?" She asks, her sentences had gaps between them since she did not have much strength in her to speak nor move.

"Yes, this will be the last time we ever see each other." I answered in a stoic tone, even if she was a dying person, and she was legally my wife, I still harbored no affection for her.

I did not hold affection for people who I did not love, and the only person who I love was Rose, despite my harsh actions against her.

"Why are you... always so cold... towards me?" She always wanted the answer to the question, even if she herself already knew the answer.

We had an arranged marriage as both our families were good friends, and we fulfilled the duties that our families demanded from us.    

"Why can't you... show me a little bit... of love? The way you show her love..." She mentions Rose as Ana wanted affection from me, that she never got.

"You are not her, and you could never be her." My words were harsh, but I did not like people who crossed my personal boundaries. 

I had made it clear that there was only one woman in my heart, and that was Rose Spencer.

We sat in silence as she gazed at me, but I looked out the window towards the sunrise because I remembered that Rose loves the sun as well as the rain.

"I need to tell you something... It's a secret," She suddenly says, as her voice was raspy and low.

"I know the secret." I responded.

If she thought she could keep a secret from me, she could not, or else I could not protect her from danger.

"What secret... do you know?" She questioned as she could barely make any facial expressions since she was slowly passing away.

I didn't think she would even make it until lunchtime.

"I know that Nikolai is your god-son, that he's your nephew. Both of you are not biologically related because your sister, Nikolai's mother, was adopted into your family." I explained, as I had found out about this a while ago, but she tried to keep it a secret from me.

Ana had an orphaned sister that had been adopted into her family, but then the adopted sister, Nikolai's mother, met Mr. Novikov, Nikolai's father, and the couple had Nikolai Novikov.

"It's not that..." Her eyes were turning slowly vacant as she continued to stare at me, and I directed my gaze back at her.

"What is the secret?" I was somewhat confused because I knew most of her secrets in order to put safety protocols in place.

"Remember when I had breast cancer... before our daughter died...?" She asked me, as she could not keep long sentences given that she was frequently out of breath. 

"I can't forget that time period. You almost went mad because you did not want to die from breast cancer. Back then, Layla was even wary of you." I spoke to her, as I could see how her life was slowly slipping away.

"I was scared.... But In the end I was cured..." She attempted to smile, but it was a failure because she no longer had much strength in her muscles.

"The doctors from France helped you with your treatment. We really have to thank them for that."

I remember when I was searching for doctors who were specialized in treating breast cancer patients, and I found them in France.

If it weren't for them, Ana would not have lived long. 

"They doctors did not cure me..." She whispers as I could barely make out her words.

"Who cured you, then?" I made the choice to play along because she was close to dying.

"They cured me..." Ana mentions they, but I had no grasp of who they were.

"What do you mean?" I was curious as I had my focus on her.

"Marco Spencer... was not the one... who sacrificed our daughter," She stated.

"I was the one...who did that..."

"The cult...could heal anyone...but I needed a sacrifice... Our daughter was the sacrifice." She confessed the ultimate sin a mother could commit against her child.

At that exact moment, not a second less, I went berserk, and strangled her.