40

ROSE

Hours after Nikolai had left, I took a shower and headed to sleep, as I still managed to sleep even after he told me that Lev would be returning from his trip.

I laid alone on the bed in utter darkness, as I had gotten used to sleeping alone these days since Lev was in Italy as he hadn't even called me, only messaged to see if I had any contractions. 

But I ended waking up at the sounds of footsteps inside the master bedroom in the middle of the night. 

Whoever they were, they tried to conceal their presence from me, as they didn't want to wake me up.

"Lev? You're back!" I sat up on the bed as I felt how a smile formed on my face because I felt happy that he was back. 

But even as I called out his name, I got no answer in the dark as I picked up the gun beneath the pillow because if this was another assassination attempt on me, I would move out.

I carefully stood up from the bed without rustling or making too much sound, as I turned on the lights of the master bedroom.

"Rose? Aren't you supposed to be asleep?" Lev asks as he walks out of the walk-in closet while his dark tie was disheveled as well as his hair.

I tossed the gun on the bed as I made my way towards him, wrapping my arms around his neck because I was unable to stay away from him, I missed him.

However, he did not hug me back, as his arms did not respond to my hug.

He simply remained still without making any attempt to touch me, as he grew very stiff when I wrapped my arms around him. 

"Are you okay?" I ask him out of concern as I peer up at his stern expression.

He remained silent as he took a step back away from me.

I grew upset because he always responded to my hugs, he always told me how much he loved it whenever I hugged him. 

Lev walked back to the walk-in closet as he did not spare me one glance nor answer my question.

"Lev?" I called out for him while my voice came out as a whisper because he was acting not like himself.

"You can go to sleep now, I'm almost finished." He says loud enough for me to hear as I heard him digging through the closet.

"I can't sleep, I need to talk to you about something important." I tell him as I force my feet to move towards the closet. 

"About what, exactly?" Lev asks from the walk-in closet, but I could still hear the sound of him digging through his closet as the sound did not stop. 

"I thought a lot about it... but I think we should get married." I took gentle steps towards the closet where he was. 

"I want to legitimize our children before they are born because I don't want them to be illegitimate. I don't want them to be looked down upon or mistreated by others. " I expressed my concerns about giving birth to illegitimate children.

I would love the twins regardless, but for their own safety it was best to get married. 

But he did not answer as the sound of him digging through his closet did not stop. 

What was he doing in there?

"We have a little time before their birth to get married." I elaborated while I took a few more steps towards the walk-in closet as I could notice my own heart beating since I was getting anxious.

"I'm afraid what would happen to the children if they are born as illegitimate..." My words faded as I could not make another sound the moment I stepped inside the walk-in closet.