46

LEV

The sunset was beginning to set, and as a result there were fewer people by the beach on the tropical island, Gran Canaria. 

I stood on the shore as the ocean water almost reached my ankles, while I watched the sunset by the beach, with a cigar between my fingers. 

I watched the infinity of the ocean as I thought of what Rose was currently doing back in Russia. 

Was she eating enough? 

Did she get enough sleep during the night?

Did her ankles hurt since they were swollen? 

Was she thinking about me, like I was thinking about her? 

I inhaled the smoke from the cigar, as it had been four weeks since I last saw my woman. 

The memory of her pleading voice haunted me every day because I did not want to stay away from her for a few weeks, especially when she was close to giving birth.

She could give birth any day now, and I needed to go back to her. 

But the memory of the day when I felt her lingered in the back of my mind, because I could still vividly recall and sense the touch of her hug. 

She had hugged me when I had come back home from my trip to Italy, but I did not hug her back, because If I did, I would never let her go. 

It was extremely difficult to leave her that day, and every single day I wanted to go back to her, but I did not, I needed to stay here in Gran Canaria because I had unfinished business. 

But soon it was time to head back home to her because she was nearly nine months pregnant and about to give birth at any moment.

I did not want to think of her giving birth all alone when I'm not there to support her through the process. 

I could not live with myself if she had to go through the birth alone, since she should have somebody to support her, to be by her side since this was her first time giving birth. 

But I did commit a sin, and that had been lying to Rose. 

I had been married to Ana the entire time, and I had been guilty of being a married man because I was protecting Ana's life, since here was a deal between Ana's father and me.

Ana's father had begged me to protect his only daughter.

As a horrific thing had happened to Ana right after Layla's death, and she needed my protection. In the Bratva, Ana needed to be married to me or have a living child in order for me to protect her. 

Though, in the public eye, it had to seem that we were divorced, but in reality we were legally married since we needed to lure a few people out, and those people would come out if they thought Ana was no longer married to me. 

I managed to lure those people who harmed Ana a few months back, and sent those people to Ana's father, who would deal with them. 

But these past months, ever since I got together with Rose, I sent out the divorce papers to Ana because I was starting a new life with a woman I loved, but Ana avoided the divorce papers like the plague.

I had gone to Italy with the divorce papers since I knew Ana was there, at the same time I was on an important business trip.

As Ana had been traveling the world, and checking off her bucket list. 

But we had met in Venice because I had been checking up on the hotel chain I owned there, since there had been some issues, but they were solved with ease.