51

ROSE

"He followed us back..." Perry whispered as he peeked out of the window the moment we had stepped inside Nikolai's mansion.

The twins were awake, but they were laying in their stroller while Nikolai was giving them all of his attention.

"He's coming here..." Perry was speaking in a hushed tone, but it quietly echoed in the hallway.

I took a peek out the window when I saw that Lev had parked his car by the entrance of the mansion and had stepped outside along with his cousin, Nina.

Nina was trying to calm him down, to slow him down because he looked a little like a lunatic as he was walking up the stairs.

"What do you want me to do?" Nikolai asked as his gaze was focused on the twins in their double stroller.

"Should I allow him inside? Should I keep him outside? What do you feel the most comfortable with right now?" He questioned as he gently rubbed a hand over the side of his jaw that was slightly bruised.

I felt like my heart was about to burst out of my chest because meeting Lev again set me into a state of unease.

If I was being honest, I felt afraid of him because I was terrified he would hurt me all over again.

I had not even gotten a chance to properly heal from him, to mentally and emotionally move on from him, those things took time.

"What should we do?" Perry asks, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Perry, can you watch over the twins, and Nikolai, could you allow Lev to enter the house...?" I'll reply.

"Are you sure?" Nikolai turned towards me with a grimace on his face, however, at that precise moment, a knock was audible on the entrance.

"I'm unsure, but I don't want to take a father away from the twins." I explained.

I did not have a proper father figure in my life, and I did not want my children to grow up without one. I knew that Lev could be a proper dad.

But a proper partner? I didn't think so anymore.

"I just need a moment, I will be back." I add.

I headed towards the bathroom on the first floor, and locked myself inside one of them.

I approached the sink with a mirror above, turned on the water, and splashed some cold water into my face. I felt like I was burning up, but in reality I was feeling anxious.

was worried that I would take him back, despite everything he has done to me.

I did not want to be a person who did not have a backbone, I was once that kind of person, and I did not want to continue being a person who did not stand their ground.

If I took Lev back into my life, what would happen to my self-respect? Taking back a man who chose his wife, his wife.

After splashing water into my face, it helped me calm down as I looked at the mirror in front of me and I observed the reflection of myself.

My amber eyes had a tinge of bitterness within them because of him.

I stared at myself in the mirror as I remembered the promise I had made to Helios and Nadia.

The promise that they would never be a second choice.

Lev did not choose us, we had not been his first priority, and I had promised my children that they would never be somebody's second choice.