Chapter 49 | Here She Is

EBONY MAGAZINE: THE JACKSONS

Michael Jackson is the most famous person in the world but that doesn't mean the world knows him as he is at all

Michael Jackson is the most famous person in the world but that doesn't mean the world knows him as he is at all. Constantly exposed and about to promote his new album, "Dangerous", the groundbreaking performer puts great effort in trying to maintain the little privacy he can get, especially now that Jackson is a father.

EBONY: First of all, thank you for doing this interview with us, Michael.

MICHAEL: It's my pleasure.

EBONY: So, a new father? Congratulations! How does it feel?

MICHAEL: Jeez, it's a dream come true. I've never been happier, it truly is amazing. I feel like it's my most important role and so far I've been doing a good job... Or so my wife says!

 Or so my wife says!

1. Michael holding his newborn daughter, Adanya Jackson, the day she was born (Michael Jackson's personal photos)

EBONY: Well, over here at Ebony we are very excited for this new phase of your life and honored to have seen you in dad mode already! The little one sure does love to crawl around!

MICHAEL: She is very active, yes! We can't take our eyes off her, even for a second! My mother says she reminders her of me, always moving around.

EBONY: I'm sure she takes after her father! What about the mom? How's Aria?

MICHAEL: Aria is amazing, she's the best mother! I love that we started this family together, I wouldn't wish to experience this with anyone else but her. I love my wife very deeply. She's a force of nature.

2

2. Mother and daughter (Michael Jackson's personal photos)

EBONY: So, even though being a father is exciting and a somewhat normal path in life for the average person, to you it comes with some challenges. We heard you had a daunting situation at your home involving the press. Would you like to elaborate on that?

MICHAEL: Well, all I would like to say is that my daughter has the right to privacy and safety. Those rights were stepped on that day. You should not trespass into someone's home for a picture. It was very scary and it still is hard to leave the house some days. If all you want is a picture of my child, well here it is, on my own terms... Sort of.

EBONY: What do you mean "sort of"?

MICHAEL: If it were up to me, my child would not be on the cover of a magazine. I'm doing this so people's curiosity is fed and they leave us alone. Of course, I also want to share this part of my life with my dear fans, but our safety at this time is my priority.

EBONY: You talk about feeding people's curiosity. Where do you think that need to see her comes from?

MICHAEL: I don't read the tabloids and all of that. All I know is what people tell me. From what I know, it's all about her skin. If the baby's skin is lighter then it wouldn't be my child. It's ridiculous. I'm a black man, my wife's a black woman and my daughter is black, as logic dictates, am I right?

 I'm a black man, my wife's a black woman and my daughter is black, as logic dictates, am I right?

3. Father and daughter at family gathering in Neverland (Michael Jackson's personal photos)

EBONY: Absolutely right! Adanya is indeed black royalty! Has she shown any moves?

MICHAEL: Oh man, she has rhythm! I had her in the studio with my while I was doing some finishing touches on the Dangerous album and to my surprise she was loving it! Her feet would bounce up and down and I couldn't believe it!

4. Aria Jackson in the studio with little Adanya (Michael Jackson's personal photos)

EBONY: I guess we have another Jackson marching on the music business! Would that be something you'd wish?

MICHAEL: That's a tricky question... I'll just say that it's up to her. My job as a father is to guide and support her in anything she wishes to do with her future and if the stage and limelight is one of them then I'll be there and let her know what to expect. If she makes up her mind about it then I hope she triumphs.

EBONY: That's a parenting lesson right here! So Michael, your newest album, Dangerous, debuted at #1 on the charts earlier this week! How do you feel about the instant success?

MICHAEL: I'm so grateful to my fans! As in all my projects, I put my heart and soul into it. I try to make something new and innovative every time and when you work on something for so long and having the fans, the real fans, listening to it and enjoying it is a very very good feeling.

EBONY: What are you most excited to let your fans know?

MICHAEL: What am I most excited to let my fans know?... That I'm genuinely happy and in love with life at the moment.

EBONY: If that's not a great thing to hear, I don't know what is! One last question! Many magazines contacted you for an interview like this. Why did you choose Ebony?

MICHAEL: How could I not? Ebony as always respected me, my family and my work. It wasn't a hard choice at all. If there's reporters I trust to print my word as it is, it's you guys. God bless you.

EBONY: We are honored! The King of Pop is always welcomed at Ebony, get that straight!