Chapter 36 | Birthday & Deathday

A few days later // september 4th 1990

"This is a bad idea, Mac." Michael looks up at Macaulay as they both keep filling up the most recent water guns.

"Trust me, this is not a bad idea." Mac smiles evilly. "Look," the blonde boy pulls out a large bag from behind the couch. "I also bought these at Toys R Us with my brother."

"Spongebob water balloons?!" Michael excitedly asks. "We're gonna die, you know that, right?" He chuckles, already picturing the scenario in his mind.

 "We're gonna die, you know that, right?" He chuckles, already picturing the scenario in his mind

"The only thing I know is that I'll finally have my revenge." Mac says, scratching the tip of his nose. "Oh sweet revenge."

"What for?" Michael questions, quickly standing up to test the super soakers. "Yep, they're working. I'll by some of these for myself." He mumbles.

"You don't remember?" Mac asks, surprised. "On my birthday... Mike isn't there a lamp lighting up in your applehead?!"

"I don't remember, swear to God." Michael sits back on the couch.

"On my 8th birthday, to be exact, we were all playing some game... I don't even remember what game... Anyway, she knows I'm the master of all the games and she wanted to win. Michael, she tied me up around The Giving Tree so I wouldn't play."

Michael laughs, remembering the incident. "You're not the master of all games, Mac. You're a cheater. A shameless one."

"Cheat or no cheat, I always win." Mac replies.

"IT'S MIDNIGHT!" Jonathan's sudden shout takes everyone by surprise. He has been quiet all this time, just sitting in front of the clock, watching it anxiously.

*

"Keep it down, Jon. Don't start laughing." Mac warns as they silently go up the stairs. Michael giggles at the fact that they're all taking this as sort of mission. "I'm serious." Mac turns around to face Michael and mouths a shut up.

As they quietly open the door, Aria's body starts moving. "I told you, she's not a heavy sleeper." Michael whispers and they finally walk in.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARI!" The three of them chant in the darkness while throwing water balloons at her just hard enough to make them splash all over.

"YOU'RE 32, WAKE UP!!" Mac and Michael grab the super soakers.

"I'm not going to fight you guys." Is the only thing she says before bursting out laughing as another water balloon splashes on her belly.

"No fight no fun, Ari. We all know you want to fight back!" Jonathan screams.

Out of nowhere, Aria extends her arms and reaches for something under the bed - something which happens to be another super soaker.

"NO!! BACK UP, BACK UP!" Michael yells, laughing like crazy, as Aria gets up from the bed and follows the kids around the room. "Got you," he says once he finds her body in the dark. "Happy birthday, Aria." Michael whispers against the crook of her neck, placing a gentle kiss on her cheek right after.

"HEY!" Mac turns on the lights and sees them two. "YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE ENEMY. YOU'RE A CHEATER!" Macaulay and Jonathan start attacking Michael and Aria.

It's only been five minutes of this water balloon/super soaker fight and the room is fully soaked. Michael takes a minute to breathe and takes a quick glance at the wet bed. "Mac, Jonathan, we'll meet you downstairs." Michael grabs both of their shoulders and leads the kids to the door. Aria is just watching.

"What? Why?" Jonathan asks. "I was ready to annihilate her!"

"Liar! I was finishing you off!" Aria responds, pointing the the water gun at Jonathan again.

"We'll continue it tomorrow morning, okay?" Michael smiles weakly and practically closes the door in their faces. He turns around with the most serious face expression. "Aria, are you on the pill?"

Aria is still breathless from all the running. Her smile becomes smaller and a frown starts to emerge on her face. "Well, your mood changed quickly and no, you know I'm not on the pill." She feels kind of offended that he is even asking her that.

"Then why are you on your period?" Michael points to the grey sheets where a huge red stain is visible.

"Oh, shit. These sheets are new. Damn me." She says and then looks down on herself, rushing to the bathroom.

"Answer my question, please." Michael follows her into the bathroom and leans against the sink as she sits down on the toilet.

"What, Michael?" Aria is now feeling the cramps. It's as if just knowing that you're on your period makes the pain appear as well... Call it psychological pain.

"Why are you on your period?" He asks again, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Well, maybe because your sperm didn't fertilize my egg and now my uterus walls are coming out of my vagina." She responds with no patience whatsoever. "There you go."

"That's a stupid and rude way to answer." He rubs his own elbows, sighing in exasperation.

"Stupid and rude answer to your stupid rude ass question." Aria blurts and another cramp comes.

What Michael is feeling is disappointment. He feels the frustration in its entirety because they haven't been using any protection well... ever since they started dating. They made this deal that when it's supposed to happen it will - they would not force or curb anything to happen. But still, it feels like it's taking too long - maybe it's my fault, he thinks everyday.

"If you're just going to stand there looking at me like I'm an alien you can leave." Aria rumbles and grabs some toilet paper. Michael nods in disappointment and walks out of the bathroom. "Michael," she calls out as she looks at the blood on the paper. "Michael, come here again. Now."

"What, Aria?" He walks back in and then stares at the paper in her hands. "What is that?"

"Michael, Michael oh my god." is all that she repeats. He bends over and holds the paper in his hands.

"What? What is this?" He keeps asking. Aria's breathing becomes faster and desperate. "Aria, don't-" before he could even finish, her eyes roll up and her eyelids shut down.