Chapter 33 | Burning Anger

~the next morning~

Aria is slowly waking up, stretching her arms and legs apart. As she drags her numb body to the side she notices that she's alone in bed. Her eyes open carefully and she presses her cheek against the pillow. "Ugh," she grumbles, feeling a weird taste in her mouth.

After a few minutes of just laying there in complete laziness she walks to the bathroom. To her surprise, the door is locked. "What," she mumbles. "Michael, babe, I need to pee urgently." No response comes back from the other side and she puts her hands on her hips. "Please, I'm almost peeing myself." She whines.

That may sound very exaggerated but it's the truth - all the vodkas and beers are desperate to leave her organism.

A second later the door opens. "Bubbles?!" Aria laughs hard and the chimp gets scared, locking himself inside again. "No, open the door Bub!" She giggles silently. "Please, I'm really struggling to hold myself!" Bubbles slowly unlocks the door and then opens it wide. As she's about to walk in he holds onto her leg. "Good morning to you too, buddy. Now, if I may..." Aria looks down on him and he lets her go.

This can seem strange for many - a chimp using the bathroom, someone's bathroom. Well, what many don't know is that chimpanzees are very intelligent and yes, they do flush the toilet. In point of fact, they are very human like, very neat and organized - Stephanie sometimes finds herself cleaning the house with Bubbles, he loves to help her.

Finally relieved, Aria walks back to the bedroom and Bubbles is making the bed. "Thank you, Bub." She pats his soft head. Bubbles points to the bedside table. "What is it?" She asks while opening the card that is on top of it.

"Good morning, beautiful.

I have to take mother home and I also have a meeting to attend to so that's why you're reading this.

I bet you're having the headache of your life right now so I left you an aspirin on the kitchen counter. Make sure to take it so you won't be grumpy when I get home.

I'll try my best to be back soon.

I love you,

Michael."

Aria is surely having not only a headache but an emotional breakdown as well. Her hazel brown eyes are watery and she holds the card against her chest. It's been so long since she last saw Michael's handwriting on a card or letter - it's been almost 22 years to be exact.

Memories are passing in front of her eyes, flashbacks from those days when her heart would jump every time she noticed another note on the sidewalk. Her heart jumps still, but it's different. Back then it was a mystery, she didn't know who the boy behind the letters was. Physically, at least, she didn't know. But Aria did know about his heart, his mind, his soul - Michael put every part of his being into those letters and she's glad she kept every single one.

Her trance is broken once Bubbles tenderly squeezes her leg. "I'm okay," she glances at the worried animal and wipes the tear that was falling down on her cheek. "I'm happy, Bubbles." Aria smiles widely and grabs him, placing the chimp around her hips. "Let's have your favorite breakfast, shall we?"

When she reaches the kitchen Aria puts Bubbles down and takes in her hand the aspirin that's on top of the counter. Smiling to herself, she also grabs a glass of water and drinks it along with the medicine.

"Alright," she opens the refrigerator. "Here's your banana," Aria throws the fruit at Bubbles and he jumps, catching it in the air. "And here's mine." She takes one out for herself and sits down. "You can eat now." She says and Bubbles abruptly opens the banana and finishes it in less than a minute.

Aria suddenly leaps from the chair after a huge noise fills the house. "What the hell," she is about to walk out of the kitchen when Michael passes on the corridor, almost pushing her away. "You're home-" she's cut off by the tremendous sound of another closing door.

She's not sure about what's happening right now. Wasn't he supposed to be at a meeting? Usually his meetings take hours and hours to end. And why is he so angry? All these questions keep filling her head.

"Michael, could you open the door?" Aria asks softly. "What are you mad about?" Out of nowhere, Michael starts to break everything inside that office - books are being thrown to the floor, glass is being shattered and there's nothing that Aria can do. All she can do is listen to his burning anger. "Open the door! Talk to me, Michael." She pleads and keeps trying to turn the doorknob around, even though it's useless.

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Her heart tightens up at the same instant he screams. "Alright," Aria weakly murmurs to herself.

"What's all this noise about?" Stephanie comes running down the stairs with a broom in her hand.

"I have no idea," Aria opens the front door and takes Bubbles - who's actually very scared - outside. "Just, don't knock on the door. Leave him be." And with that, she closes the door and sits on the steps. "What a wonderful morning..."