My Heart

Thanks to the efficiency of the old servant, Pei Xuan learned about the situation of the owner of the small courtyard two days later, and frowned with his slender eyebrows upon hearing the news: "Born blind?."

"Yes, she was born blind," the old servant confirmed. "Not only does the Xining family dislike their own daughter, but Mrs. Xining even treats her as a burden and regards her as an accidental disaster. What's more, she doesn't receive the same treatment as their other daughter and honestly it is a miracle that she's still alive."

The old servant's voice was tinged with emotion as he succinctly summarized, "This girl's life has not been easy."

Pei Xuan's heart ached as he muttered to himself, "I see.. No wonder, no wonder she..."

From his recollection, the girl who was sitting on the stone steps, dressed in a water-red dress, smiled serenely, as if she had accepted all the storms and injustices of the world.

She was calm and gentle, not talking much, but her voice was pleasant to header.

What saddened him now was remembering her old yet beautiful clothes, a frail figure smaller than others her age, a face lacking color, and a shabby tile-roofed house behind her.

All of her difficulties were visible when they first met, but Pei Xuan had ignored the worrying details.

"How can the Xining couple be so heartless? How can such a wonderful girl be considered a disaster? It's ridiculous!" Pei Xuan exclaimed in frustration.

Seeing the young master's expression, the old servant added, "The day you met that girl was her eighteenth birthday, and it was also the birthday of the third daughter of the Xining family."

"What?" Pei Xuan exclaimed in shock, lightly caressing his forehead in disbelief. "I had no idea there were such parents in the world. The eldest daughter is left alone in a rundown house, while the younger daughter's birthday is celebrated in grand style."

He spoke his thoughts unceremoniously and the old servant looked at him with concern, "Young Master, the imperial examination is coming soon, you should calm down."

"I know," Pei Xuan replied, returning to her desk a few steps away and picking up a volume of books to begin reviewing.

Seeing that he was determined to study, the old servant didn't dare to disturb him and carefully closed the door as he left.

Half a quarter of an hour later, Pei Xuan put down the scroll and stared at the void in a daze, murmuring to herself, "It's her eighteenth birthday, and I didn't even say a congratulatory message to her."

She moved her wrist, playing with her Langhao pen with her slender knuckles, and after a moment of contemplation, she made up her mind.

"I have to find a way to thank her."

"Thank who?," Mrs. Pei looked at her 'son'.

Pei Xuan stood by the window, looking at her with a slight smile: "The eldest daughter of the Xining family saved me. If she hadn't laid out the straw mat in advance, I would have definitely been injured."

"Why did she spread straw mats against the wall for no reason?."

"Maybe on a whim, who knows? Anyway, favors cannot be gained in vain, they must be returned. "

Mrs. Pei took a sip of tea and asked, "How do you want to pay it back?."

"I'm not inappropriate, am I? If I do it publicly, it will affect the girl's reputation."

He is still the direct son of the Pei family, utilizing the connections formed by his parents to bypass the "verification of integrity" part of the imperial examination. Since she chose to become an official, she can only survive as a man for the rest of her life.