Get on!

After all, the wall displayed a golden-thread embroidered picture portraying hundreds of descendants and thousands of grandchildren, a sight that greeted anyone who looked up.

Following their laughter, Mrs. Pei expressed her intention to keep her niece for dinner. Dou Qingyue, not wanting to witness the affectionate display between her cousin and sister-in-law, discreetly covered her mouth with a handkerchief and coughed twice, drawing Mrs. Pei's concern.

Under the watchful gazes of her aunt and cousin, Dou Qingyue boarded the carriage to return home. As the curtains of the carriage were drawn shut, her expression revealed a sense of unease.

The carriage gradually distanced itself from Furong Street, and the maid sitting beside Dou Qingyue inquired, "Miss?."

Dou Qingyue anxiously twisted her brocade fabric with her fingers and questioned, "Do you think my cousin found out? Because why else would he look at me so strangely?."

Burdened by a sense of guilt akin to that of a thief, Dou Qingyue's servant pondered the question and replied in a perplexed manner, "Is there something wrong?."

Setting aside all other considerations, Dou Qingyue had always been devoted to Pei Xuan. Even if Pei Xuan wore an odd expression or furrowed 'his' brows, Dou Qingyue would patiently decipher the meaning for an extended period. Over time, she had come to understand her cousin almost as well as her own mother.

The more she dwelled on it, the more perturbed she became. She whispered to herself, "Cousin, don't think that I'm purposely stirring up trouble."

"..."

The servant girl was left speechless, silently criticizing, 'Is she still trying to do good deeds? With such a large embroidered picture filled with various children, if she were to see them every day, I'd be worried about giving birth myself.'

Dou Qingyue swept away her worries, and smiled: "Anyway, I'm not someone who worries, I care more about other people's lives."

With a change in her tone, the servant girl obediently lowered her head.

...

Pei Xuan gazed at the wall absentmindedly, lost in her thoughts, when the sound of footsteps came in, they brought her back to reality.

"Does it look good?"

"It's not pretty."

Indeed, it was true that the picture wasn't visually appealing. But her cousin required constant support due to her illness, and embroidery was a delicate task that demanded considerable energy.

Moreover, the notion of hundreds of sons and thousands of grandchildren didn't appeal to Pei Xuan. The mere thought of such vast numbers was exhausting.

Pei Xuan saw no need to sugarcoat her opinion. Cui Ti, who despised bluntness, feared hurting others' feelings but if it was a rival-in-love then she'll take the measures that are necessary.

Soon after, Pei Xuan led the way, careful to protect her wife as they walked.

The night was calm, adorned with stars that flickered like fire. Lanterns adorned every corner of the Pei family's mansion, and the sound of insects and birds resonated from the surrounding foliage, creating a delightful ambiance.

Pei Xuan contemplated Cui Ti's dream of tumbling into a lotus pond. As she strolled along, the realization struck her that it was a haunting memory to ponder beneath the moonlight.

Amidst her own laughter despite thinking negatively, it wasn't merely the melodic chirping of insects that evoked her amusement. Recognizing Cui Ti's astuteness, Pei Xuan refrained from questioning, knowing well that Cui Ti was neither a child nor a fool.