Provoked

"Miss?"

"Leave!."

Shortly after, complete silence enveloped the area outside the boudoir door.

Dou Qingyue sat on the small mahogany stool with anger, deeply resenting the unfortunate timing of her return. If only she had arrived earlier, her cousin would not have married that blind woman!

But it was futile to dwell on such thoughts now.

It was too late.

If this was her destiny, she would defy it.

How long had Cui Ti known Pei Xuan? For Dou Qingyue, she had been in love with her cousin for over a decade.

Since the day she accidentally discovered that Pei Xuan was a woman, Dou Qingyue had resolved to become her future wife. She wanted to be by her side, to dress her warmly in the cold and prepare a bowl of sour plum soup for her in the heat.

She wanted to be the closest lover in the world, the most loyal, and the protector of the Pei family's secret that fooled His Majesty and the world.

Dou Qingyue coughed twice, clutching her handkerchief as her face turned pale.

Immortals may not concern themselves with worldly matters, but now that her senior had departed, it was up to her to fight openly and in secret.

She refused to accept defeat.

Cui Ti, just wait and see!

"Yue'er?."

Madam Dou stood outside with worry etched on her face. She raised her hand and knocked on the door gently, "Yue'er, it's your mother."

The door opened, revealing Dou Qingyue dressed in plain white clothes, her eyes and brows reflecting a sickly appearance.

"Mother, why are you here?" she asked, leaning forward to invite her mother inside.

Concerned for her own child, Madam Dou examined her from head to toe. "You've been staying away from home for several days. Can a mother not worry?."

Being born as the daughter of a military general and marrying a renowned general in the court, she had only one daughter after many years, and Madam Dou suffered an injury during her pregnancy with her.

To compensate for their sick daughter, both Mr. and Mrs. Dou showered her with unconditional love.

Dou Qingyue nestled empathetically in her mother's arms. "I heard that my cousin is unwell, and she took seven days off because of it. Mother, I feel uneasy."

Spoiled and doted upon since childhood, she desired the impossible and faced numerous challenges due to her frailty. While everyone at home relied on her, she experienced a major setback in her own marriage.

Madam Dou understood that her daughter's heart was completely entwined with Pei Xuan. However, she was already married, and it would be inappropriate for a daughter of the Dou family to become a concubine.

She offered comfort, saying, "That is someone else's life. We must focus on living our own lives well."

"But I can't help feeling unhappy. I'm envious of my sister-in-law," Dou Qingyue expressed with a hint of jealousy.

Whenever Dou Qingyue displayed her stubbornness, her mother never truly grasped the underlying resentment in her daughter's eyes.

Madam Dou patted Dou Qingyue on the back and said, "Yue'er, even though mother loves you, let me say this first: don't cause trouble for your cousin."

"Mother!"

"Yue'er, stop fixating on your cousin all the time. There are plenty of good men in Xijing. Shall I help you find a suitable match?," Madam Dou suggested.