Kite

"Young Master! Young master!." Pei Xuan's book boy hastily chased after her.

After leaving the Feng Minghou tower, she walked for a long time at a brisk pace, lost in her thoughts and recalling Zhou Yezhi's commentary and laughter, as well as the image of Sun Ze swallowing his anger appeared in her mind.

Without warning, she punched an elm tree by the side of the road, ignoring the blood that began to seep from her hand. Her long eyelashes drooped, and her face looked cold and gloomy.

The book boy was startled: "Young Master! Why are you hurting yourself?."

He quickly tore off a clean veil to bandage Pei Xuan's hand, but she was indifferent, her dark eyes swirling with an unreadable storm.

She couldn't understand why Mrs. Xining would choose the Sun family for her eldest daughter to marry into.

The Sun's husband already had a wife and a concubine, and their older son was already engaged to the second daughter of the Yang family. This meant that the only option left was the lecherous Sun Zhe.

Why is a mother trying to send her daughter to a perverted den?

Pei Xuan gritted her teeth, pushed the book boy away, and walked home with the portrait in her arms.

"Huh? Sir!." The book boy followed her, but he knew better than to speak, not wanting to upset his master.

Pei Xuan felt as if she was being trampled on by those around her, and she couldn't help but feel indignant.

Soon after arriving home, she shut herself in her room, sulking.

"Why is my son acting so different?," Mrs Pei asked.

The book boy scratched his head: "Ma'am, the Young Master hurt his hand, you should go in and have a look."

Mrs. Pei took a few steps forward and raised her arm to knock on the door, but then lowered it again. "Forget it, something must have happened, let her figure it out first."

She then turned to the book boy and asked, "You said that he caused a scene in public because of a portrait?."

"Yes, Ma'am!."

The conversation outside the door filtered through to Pei Xuan, but she paid no attention to it. She sat with the portrait spread out in front of her, surrounded by the backlight, lost in silence.

Mrs. Pei walked away from the door before asking carefully: "Is it a girl?."

"The person in the painting is indeed a girl."

"Did you see her face clearly?."

The book boy shook his head: "No, I'm just looking at it now. Anyway, when he saw that painting, he got very annoyed. The Zhou family member wanted to buy this painting from Mr. Sun, when the Young Master immediately rushed over in anger.."

"I see." Mrs. Pei got close to her daughter's door and softly murmured in a low voice: "Pei?."

As she gazed at the closed door, Mrs. Pei could sense Pei Xuan's palpable disappointment and frustration.

From birth, Pei Xuan was forced to live as a man, and as a result, the majority of her interactions were with men. If she would ever talk to a woman... it would be the eldest daughter of the Xining family.

Mrs. Pei began to recall how many times Pei Xuan mentioned the blind girl.

Pei Xuan, now known for her reserved nature, was not a typical lively woman in her youth, but she was not without interests either. She enjoyed leisure activities, such as flying her kite during her free time after examinations.