Have some Shame!

Cui Ti stood there in a state of shock. The mother-in-law she had known to be kind and gentle had suddenly transformed into someone who spoke nonsense with a serious face.

IIf it weren't for her spiritual eyes being opened by an immortal riding a crane, she wouldn't have believed every word of it, but only about 80%.

Besides, why would a mother dare to spread rumors about this?.

Cui Ti was dazed, and Mrs. Pei seemed to think that she couldn't handle the weight of the news, so she gave her some time to process her shock.

However, instead of processing the shock, she immediately came to a conclusion.

Her mother-in-law is trying to fool her.

Mrs. Pei coughed lightly, her voice laced with a sense of helpless sadness. "Pei is a very kind-hearted and talented man. He is the only son of the prime minister, thus he will have a bright future. From now on, you would be perceived by outsiders as Mrs. Pei, and Pei Xuan would be your only support. So if you want to blame anymore, blame me, his mother."

As she spoke, she knelt down to Cui Ti, and halfway through kneeling, she remembered that her daughter-in-law was blind and could not see her movements.

Maintaining a half-kneeling posture, Mrs. Pei sighed in her heart that she had miscalculated. It was the first time in decades that she did such a deceitful thing, and she lacked experience in such matters.

Deceiving such a kind and lovely girl, Mrs. Pei's conscience pricked at her.

If only Cui Ti wasn't blind and came from a poor family, she would be perfect in every way.

"Niang, why do you say such things? The Pei family has treated me very well, and my husband is the best husband in the world. I cannot blame Niang for trying to share these secrets. Besides, Niang wouldn't wish for my husband to suffer like this."

[T/N: Niang (娘) is basically used to say mother in ancient chinese)

"Is that really how you feel?" Mrs. Pei eagerly grasped her daughter-in-law's hand.

Cui Ti thought to herself: even if Pei Xuan was not a woman, but a real eunuch, she would still love her.

"I was able to marry into the Pei family and become my husband's wife. It is a blessing from my previous life, and I only wish to stay with Pei Xuan forever and live a life of love."

"Very well!" Mrs. Pei, having lived to her age, could tell sincerity from deception in an instant. She sensed that Cui Ti's love was genuine and felt a different kind of joy spreading across her face. "You are a good girl. I have wronged you."

"I have not been wronged, but my husband has been wronged, and it is he who has suffered."

These words touched Mrs. Pei's heart.

Back then, Mr. Pei insisted on letting his newborn daughter pretend to be a man out of sheer anger.

Mrs. Pei couldn't stop him, and thus resulted in Pei Xuan to live as a man for eighteen years.

A woman, who had endured more than what an ordinary person could bear since childhood, had to tie her own hair in places hidden from the world when she grew old.

She had to protect her biological daughter day and night. The thought of her struggles brought tears to Mrs. Pei's eyes.

When Pei Xuan mentioned she wanted to marry a woman, Mrs. Pei did not stop her, although she knew it would be difficult for her daughter to be accepted by others if her true gender were to ever be revealed.