What is Love?

The vast expanse of the galaxy stretched out above them, with a brilliant moon shining high in the sky and nocturnal birds flapping their wings and soaring above the roof of the houses.

Pei Xuan closed the windows to keep out the gentle evening breeze. With her slim and tall figure adorned with the black light of the night on her back and legs, she wore only a jacket that accentuated her thin frame.

Under the moonlight, she looked like a goddess riding the wind, and even in the dimly lit inner room, her delicate figure was enough to take one's breath away.

As Pei Xuan turned to face her, Cui Ti quickly looked away, her heart racing and face flushed. She fanned herself, and Pei Xuan walked over with a concerned look in her eyes, "Wife, are you feeling hot?."

"Yes, it's a little hot."

"Then, I'lI open half of the window."

Cui Ti who was able to see Pei Xuan clearly felt a variety of emotions.

Soon, the small half of the window was opened, and the wind blew in, refreshing the couple in the room.

"Is it still hot?."

Cui Ti turned her face away, her black hair unable to conceal her red ears. Pei Xuan suddenly realized that her straightforward invitation to bed might have been too blunt.

Pei Xuan couldn't help but feel a surge of joy as she saw Cui Ti's cute, blushing ears.

But as quickly as the feeling came, a warning tugged at her heart. It would be easy to consummate the marriage if she were a man, but she was a woman.

The fate of the entire Pei family rested on her shoulders, and Pei Xuan's breath hitched for a moment before she straightened her shoulders and regained her composure, leading Cui Ti to the bed by her wrist with a gentle touch.

The bed curtains embroidered with silver-patterned maple leaves were new and elegant, and Cui Ti followed Pei Xuan's lead and softly called out, "husband".

But behind Pei Xuan's calm exterior, a fierce battle raged within her. Her parents' explicit and secret instructions clashed with Cui Ti's soft voice. She was fond of Cui Ti, but it wasn't yet the time to reveal her true gender. Then, what was she to do?.

"Husband?," Cui Ti called out in concern.

Pei Xuan let go, walked a few steps and blew out the candles. The inner room became dark, only the stars and moonlight from the window shone in, and she could barely make out her wife.

She coughed lightly and walked slowly towards Cui Ti.

Seeing this, Cui Ti nervously pinched the corner of her clothes.

Pei Xuan couldn't help asking, "Are you afraid that I don't want you?."

Her own blush was hidden by the cover of the dark night, but also relying on the fact that her wife was blind. She tried to calm herself down by thinking of Song Zizhen and Zheng Wuji's conversation at the wine table, specifically, the description of a ghost.

Song Zizhen often said that men are lustful and they pretend to be courteous in public but once they enter the bridal chamber, they transform into wolves, impatient and eager to undress their wives to taste heavenly pleasure.

"I wish I could strip a woman naked in the blink of an eye, and have intercourse with her right away," these were his exact words, and Pei Xuan still remembers them vividly. The reason for recalling as such is because of a shocking scandal that had recently occurred in Xijing.

When Pei Xuan was twelve, she saw a fierce-looking wolf locked in a cage. Its eyes were menacing, and its aura was full of certainty, but she couldn't bring herself to be fierce towards Cui Ti. Despite being a "man," Pei Xuan didn't do anything to Cui Ti on their wedding night, which made it hard for her to sleep peacefully that night.