Nightmare

"Young master," the servant hastened over and whispered into her ear.

Pei Xuan remained composed as she nodded. "Alright, I understand. You may leave for now."

As the others withdrew, Song Zizhen, who stood beside her, couldn't help but ask curiously, "What's the matter? What happened?"

With a raised eyebrow after finishing the last drop of wine from his jug, Zheng Wuzhi remarked, "Pei Xuan, if you have something to attend to, go ahead and take care of it. Don't worry about us."

"Yes, go handle your business. Wuzhi and I can entertain ourselves," Song Zizhen added with concern.

The two of them were truly considerate. Pei Xuan smiled faintly and spoke honestly, "I just received a report about a minor issue at home. I need to go and look at the situation myself, so I'll take up on your offer."

Pei Xuan downed the contents of her cup in one swift motion, then turned and headed downstairs.

Observing her hurried departure, Song Zizhen rubbed his chin and muttered to himself, "Is it family affairs?."

His eyes darted with speculation. "Could it be that his tender heart has been wronged?."

Nonchalantly, Zheng Wuzhi twirled his small wine glass on the table. "It's hard to say."

Downstairs, Pei Xuan got into a carriage and went back to the Pei mansion.

Once arriving, the doors to her home opened and welcomed her.

Pei Xuan strode with an air of grace. "Is the young lady safe?" she inquired.

Rou reported, "Madam Cui is safe now. She was a little frightened, but she soon fell asleep. Bai Tang and Shou are keeping watch by her side."

Upon learning of Cui Ti's well-being, Pei Xuan's furrowed brows slowly relaxed, though a simmering anger ignited within her., "Where is the culprit?."

"Servant Hong, the one who betrayed the master, is locked up in the firewood room in the backyard. The mistress stated that she would not interfere in this matter. The final decision on whether to sell or hand over the slave to officials is up to the Young Madam," Rou explained.

Pei Xuan's thin lips tightened, and the warmth that had been present earlier, like a gentle spring breeze, had vanished during the journey back.

A storm was brewing.

In the backyard, the door to the firewood room swung open, and a beam of light pierced through, illuminating Xiaohong's panicked and pale face.

As servant Hong caught sight of Pei Xuan, her trembling lips uttered a plea, and she collapsed to her knees with a thud, "Young Master, please spare me!."

Pei Xuan gazed down at her with a condescending look.

To be honest, she couldn't recall the names and faces of every servant in the inner and outer courts of the Pei family mansion, which consisted of hundreds of individuals.

However, the one before her was familiar.

Servant Hong's full name was Yun Hong. She had been an orphan whom Pei Xuan purchased and brought into the mansion three years ago. Since then, Yun Hong had been assigned tasks in the outer courtyard, such as watering flowers and weeding, and had never had the opportunity to serve in the inner courtyard.

She had occasionally caught glimpses of Yun Hong two or three times within the mansion, but she had never suspected that beneath her innocent appearance lay a heart filled with darkness.

If it weren't for the covert protection of the little wolf, who knew what wicked deeds this treacherous servant would have carried out?

A surge of fear washed over Pei Xuan, her expression turning cold. "Bring her out," she ordered.