Disease

The fragrance worked its magic on Cui Ti, causing her to close her eyes involuntarily.

Pei Xuan resisted kissing her, then proceeded to take out the small jade bottle and inhale deeply, just as she had done before.

The refreshing aroma of the medicine washed away her drowsiness, and suddenly, a strong gust of wind blew in through the window, carrying the breath of the night.

On this mild day, the air was neither chilly nor warm. A few stars shone in the sky through the worn-out roof, casting a soft glow on the walls of the humble abode.

Pei Xuan held her beautiful wife tightly in her arms and gazed at the partially visible starry sky. Cui Ti slept soundly, her ribbon-tied hair askew and her collar slightly open, revealing her graceful collarbone.

The enchanting moonlight accentuated Cui Ti's beauty, making her appear like a sleeping beauty.

Shortly after, Pei Xuan planted a gentle kiss on her eyelids and hugged her tighter, yearning for her tender body to be closer to hers. She couldn't help but feel a sense of danger, fearing that she might fall into a mesmerizing trance.

She sighed, but the sound was soon swallowed by the interweaving of moonlight and evening breeze. Pei Xuan waited anxiously for a long while, until Cui Ti sank into a peaceful slumber, then leaned in close to her ear and whispered cautiously, "Wife?."

However, there was only silence, leaving her feeling lonely and conflicted, torn between the desire to be honest and the need for secrecy.

Tiredly blinking her eyes, Pei Xuan gently embraced Cui Ti's shoulders and caressed her tender jaw, softly calling out "Wife?"."

But no response came.

The wind, now even more gentle, doubled its tenderness, as anxiety gave way to nervousness. Pei Xuan wrapped her arms around Cui Ti's slender waist, and with the drug still in effect, she was powerless and weak.

Knowing this, Cui Ti obediently buried herself in the crook of her husband's neck, her shallow breaths stirring an inexplicable itch in Pei Xuan's heart.

Pei Xuan held the back of her head and pressed her face against her neck, kissing her sensitive larynx with both shame and excitement. As a child taught by gentlemen, she tried to resist her indulgent desires, but her clear pupils turned hot and her heart overflowed with joy, guilt, and longing.

She sighed repeatedly before falling asleep.

...

At dawn, a rooster raised in captivity from the Northwest Courtyard crowed loudly, as the sun rose from the east.

In the Baishao Courtyard, Cui Dai sat up with the quilt covering her, annoyed by the rooster's crowing. She grumbled, "This is so irritating! Can't anyone get some sleep? Servants, go kill that poultry!."

Hearing Cui Dai's numerous complaints, the servants were panicking and fearful: "We can't kill it. Miss, the chicken was prepared for the Young Master."

"For brother-in-law?," Cui Dai asked and was stunned for a while, half of her sleepiness went away.

In the southern courtyard's shabby tiled-roof house, Ruo and Shou were busy with the other maids in preparations for Pei Xuan's and Cui Ti's departure.

Mr. Xining had prepared unusual gifts, including live pigeons and roosters. He had even tied a red string around the rooster's beak to keep it quiet.

Despite the commotion, there was a sense of simplicity to the gesture of gifting live animals. Pei Xuan, who was the prime minister's 'son' , would have never seen such a lavish gift before, and it was all thanks to Mr. Xining's generosity.