Chapter 40 - Moon and Sun rising (part 3)

Hirato was now sitting at his desk in the study. Joshiro had taken a seat on the side of the desk, while Sun and Moon sat in two armchairs opposite them.

Hirato nervously sipped a digestive strong sake.

"Dad, tell me, what's going on here, why did you increase the security measures?" Sun asked anxiously.

"Two days ago, a family member of the Katō clan, the boss's brother to be precise, received a threatening letter in the post. Roughly, it said that the letter writer would take revenge on all the yakuza families who had destroyed his life. The brakes on his car were promptly tampered with. Thank God nothing worse happened, because it was noticed on the property and the result was only a fender bender and a dented roller shutter. Nobody was injured.
The next day, a slot machine parlor belonging to the Itō clan was completely vandalized, the takings stolen, 2 employees beaten up in hospital and the walls daubed with similar threats.
Then tonight, a fire was set on the Nakamura family's property. A garage with really expensive cars burned down, but it didn't spread to the main house. Whoever did this knew exactly about the location and the camera surveillance. They also knew when there were very few or no people at the site of the attack and the perpetrator or perpetrators had no problem doing their thing. I've just come from a meeting with Yoko Nakamura. She is very angry and also very worried. She wants to use the meeting tomorrow to discuss a few things and perhaps find clues as to who might be responsible. We expect someone to strike again tomorrow. Certainly not at the meeting, there's so much yakuza there that no one would stand a chance, but maybe at one of our homes or in one of the casinos or betting shops."

"Yoko Nakamura? She's coming in person? I didn't even know she was still alive. She hasn't appeared at a meeting in years! I thought her nephew was running everything now." Sun seemed very surprised.

"Who is she?" Moon asked curiously.

"Yes, her nephew runs the business, but she has never pulled out completely. In the meantime, she just lives in seclusion. She is and has been the only woman to ever lead a yakuza clan on her own. Her husband died in an attack that was supposed to break the neck of this powerful clan because there was no successor, but she alone managed to assert herself. She's very clever and I'm told she was really good at various martial arts when she was young. She also made quite clever alliances in her business dealings. She's as tattooed as any of the men in the organizations. Times were tough back then, partly because of the war. She always managed to shake off the dust and help her clan to greatness. She also doesn't believe that this is just someone who wants revenge. She's sure there's more to it than that, which is also my opinion. I'm sure she'll like you, Moon. By the way, she is the only one to whom I have already explained my reasons for your kamon and your relationship with my son and she's eager to get to know you. You can be sure of her support, son-in-law."

Moon smiled. "I'm really looking forward to meeting her too. It all sounds incredibly impressive."

Moon was then informed who he would be also meeting tomorrow evening.

The representatives of 6 large families who ruled their districts with iron would be there. The most famous names were Itō, Nakamura, Satō, Yaguchi, Katō and Mikumo.

The Futojoshi family could rely 100% on the support of the Satō and Nakamura families. Hirato knew that. Wobbly candidates who were actually well-disposed but could have changed their minds were Itō, Yaguchi and Mikumo, although Jiro Mikumo himself was obviously gay and perhaps this fact alone made him more favorably disposed towards Moon if he presented himself well and Hirato explained his reasons. The Katō family remained to be convinced.