Chapter~35

Enjoy your super early update <33

Like
.
.
.
.
.
Comment
.
.
.
.
.
Share/Follow
.
.
.
~ Constructive feedback is appreciated~
.
.
.
♦ Please don't be a silent reader,and at least leave a like to motivate me♦
.
.
.

Nicolo's POV:

My heart sank as I watched my sister walk away, her rejection hanging heavy in the air between us. Despite her clear dismissal, I couldn't shake the urge to pour out my feelings to her, to let her know that I was ready to stand by her side no matter what. I wanted to assure her that I'd fight any battle for her, even if it meant taking on the whole world.

But beneath her tough exterior, I sensed a longing for family, a desire she couldn't quite bring herself to admit. What was holding her back from accepting our love? Were we really that unbearable to her? The unanswered questions gnawed at me, leaving me feeling helpless in the face of her distant demeanor.

With a heavy sigh, I trudged down the hallway toward Matthew's room, a knot of frustration tightening in my chest. His silence spoke volumes, a stark reminder of the unanswered message I had sent him earlier. Best friend or not, he had some explaining to do.

I rapped my knuckles against Matthew's door, a hollow sound that echoed my apprehension. Without waiting for a response, I pushed the door open and stepped inside, finding him perched on the edge of his bed, engrossed in his phone screen.

"I really can't decide if I want to yell at you or if I want you to comfort me," I muttered, the frustration seeping into my voice. My words seemed to jolt Matthew from his reverie, his gaze snapping up to meet mine as if he had only just realized my presence in the room.

"Hey man... when did you get in?" Matthew's voice carried a hint of weariness as he rubbed his tired eyes. It was evident he hadn't been getting much sleep lately, a fact that didn't bode well considering the turbulent situation at hand. 

"Where were you?" I asked bluntly, my tone leaving no room for evasion. There was no sense in tiptoeing around the issue—I needed answers, plain and simple.

"We went to get some ice-cream. She was in a bad mood, and ice-cream always helps," Matthew replied, the words flowing effortlessly from his lips. But there was a familiarity to the lie, a smoothness that left me questioning just how many times I had accepted his deceit without a second thought.

"You're quite the proficient liar," I remarked, settling onto the small couch positioned adjacent to his bed. My gaze remained fixed on him, unyielding. "I can't help but wonder how many times I've been fooled by your smooth words."

"I only lie to you when it concerns Vanessa, otherwise, I can promise you, I've never lied," Matthew defended himself, his words laced with a desperate attempt to salvage the shattered trust between us. But promises alone couldn't erase the bitter taste of betrayal that lingered in the air.

"Next time, don't bother," I declared firmly, the weight of my words heavy in the air. "I'd rather hear nothing at all than be fed lies." My resolve was unyielding; I could appreciate his loyalty to my sister, but deceit was a line I refused to tolerate. Better an honest adversary than a false friend, casting shadows over our bond with deceitful words.