The Suspicious Neighbor

Nathan Adams sat in his room, his broken leg propped up on a pillow, bored out of his mind. He glanced out of his window, across to the house next door. His neighbor was sitting in his living room, eerily still.

Nathan: He's been like that for 24 hours now, what's he doing? Will he eat? Did he eat or sleep while I did?

Nathan muttered to himself. The neighbor, sat in a dimly lit room, bathed in a strange green light that Nathan couldn't quite place. He seemed frozen, not moving a muscle. Nathan felt a shiver run down his spine.

Nathan: I woke up a few times, he's been there nonstop. I think he might be dead or something.

Nathan continued, talking to himself. Curiosity got the better of Nathan. He hobbled over to his desk, grabbed a pair of binoculars, and sat back down by the window. He focused the binoculars on the neighbor's house, trying to get a better look.

Envy: What are you doing, Nathan?

Avoice startled him. It was his sister, Envy Adams, standing in the doorway, arms crossed. Nathan squeaked in surprise, almost dropping the binoculars.

Nathan: I-I was just... um... looking at... birds?

He stammered. Envy raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. She walked over and looked through the binoculars herself. Her eyes widened slightly.

Envy: He's still there?

She asked, her voice low. Nathan nodded, feeling a sense of unease creeping over him.

Nathan: Yeah, he hasn't moved at all.

Envy handed the binoculars back to Nathan and walked out of the room without saying another word. Nathan watched her go, feeling a sense of dread settling in the pit of his stomach. He turned back to the window, his gaze fixed on the neighbor's house. The green light flickered, casting eerie shadows on the walls. Nathan couldn't shake the feeling that something was very wrong.

Nathan lowered the binoculars and frowned.

Nathan: It's weird, it's like he froze in time.

He mused, voicing his thoughts aloud.

Envy: Maybe he's just sleeping.

Envy suggested, though her tone betrayed her concern. She knew Nathan's leg should have healed by now, and she was worried about him. She also knew that his friends, especially Emily Guycott, missed him and were concerned. Nathan and Envy continued to watch the neighbor's house, the green light casting an eerie glow. Suddenly, they both gasped in shock as the silhouette in the window briefly flickered before returning to normal.

Nathan: What was that?

Nathan asked, his heart racing.

Envy shook her head, a worried expression on her face.

Envy: I don't know, but we should keep an eye on him. Something's not right.

As Nathan and Envy watched, the silhouette in the neighbor's window moved ever so slightly, almost imperceptibly. They exchanged a glance, both unnerved by the strange sight. The scene then cut to the neighbor sitting in his living room, directly in front of a flashing orb that emitted a pulsing green light. The neighbor sat perfectly still, his eyes fixed on the orb, unblinking and unmoving, as if in a trance.
The orb continued to flash, casting eerie shadows on the walls. The neighbor remained motionless, his expression blank. Nathan and Envy watched in silence, their unease growing with each passing moment.

Nathan: What is that thing?

Nathan whispered, his voice barely audible.

Envy shook her head, her eyes glued to the scene unfolding before them.