better man

tw: joe

Travis' POV

"Where are you going?" Taylor whined, latching onto my arm as I went to get up from the couch. She tugged me back down next to her, nuzzling her cheek against my chest.

"I told you baby, remember Patrick and I have that dinner with the investor tonight." I reminded my fiancé and she shook her head, tightening her grip on my arm. "Baby girl, you need to let go. I kind of need my arm."

"But I want you to stay home and cuddle tonight!" She whined insistently.

"Oh I know." I crooned, stroking her hair. "But I'll be back by ten at the latest, and we can cuddle as much as you want." Taylor huffed. Deciding to try and play my cards right, I lowered my lips to whisper in her ear. "If you let me go now I'll bring you back your favorite ice cream."

"Really?" Taylor perked up, lifting her head to smile at me. "Half-baked Ben and Jerry's?"

"I'll even get the big size." I promised. Taylor giggled, planting a happy kiss on my cheek as she released her grip on my arm. I smiled, ruffling her hair playfully as I got up from the couch, tucking the blanket back over her legs.

 I had a quick shower, changing into a black suit and a white button up underneath, leaving the top button casually open. It wasn't a super formal dinner, and Patrick and I really wanted to butter up the investor, so seeming casual and relaxed would make this mean friendlier. Pulling on some shoes, I grabbed my phone and wallet, shoving everything into my pockets before leaving the bedroom.

"Oh very nice." Taylor smiled as I passed the couch to get my car keys. "You look so handsome babe."

"Thank you baby girl." I grabbed my car keys, leaning over the back of the couch to give her a kiss. Taylor sighed against my lips.

"Don't be home too late okay?" She blinked up at me when I pulled back, giving me that adorable little expression that never failed to get her what she wanted. Taylor had me wrapped around her finger, and she knew it too. "Come home to me."

"Yes ma'am." I cocked an eyebrow at her and she giggled.

"Good luck!" Taylor called out as I left, and I smiled to myself as I headed for the door.

It took me twenty minutes to drive to the restaurant where Patrick was already there, and the investor turned up a few minutes later. We'd met with him a few times before at some games and events, so it was easy enough to slip into conversation with him. He was very interested in investing, which made things easy for us. After talking business for a little while, we moved onto more casual topic.

"He had no idea of course, and it turned out so much better then we'd hoped." Neil chuckled, and Patrick and I laughed along at the story he was telling about the time his golf group had pranked one of their friends.

"Is that your phone?" Patrick murmured to me and I blinked, realizing that there was a faint buzzing coming from my pocket.

"Sorry." I apologized, fumbling for the off button. But then I caught a glimpse of who was calling and paused. "It's Taylor, I should probably make sure everything's okay." I murmured to Patrick, who nodded before I turned to Neil. "Excuse me for a moment, it's my fiancé." I explained.

"Take your time son." He smiled as I got up, ducking out of the restaurant before I answered the phone.

"Hey baby girl, everything okay?" I asked. Taylor wouldn't have called during this dinner if it wasn't important.

"Travis." She whimpered into the phone. "Travis I'm scared."

"What's going on?" My back straightened, alerted by the tone of her voice. I heard a bang in the background and Taylor sobbed. "Baby girl what's going on?" I asked insistently.