one fucked up night

Taylor's POV

"Hey, earth to Taylor!" Selena waved a hand in front of my face.

"Hmm?" I blinked, tuning back in. "Yeah, sounds good."

"I asked you what you thought of the results." She told me, and I blushed. Selena sighed. "Babe I know you're having a hard time, but this is a party, have some fun."

I sighed, nodding as I took a sip of my drink. Selena had been trying to drag me out of the house for months, and she'd finally managed it and brought me to this party. It was someone's birthday; I forgot who it was, that's how much I didn't want to be there. I'd tried to smile as we'd dressed up and put on makeup and arrived as cameras flashed in our direction. Now we'd settled in, the cameras had faded slightly, and everyone was getting drunk.

Selena and I were standing against the wall just outside, looking out at the back part of the bar full of people. I felt like shit, and was still on my first drink while Selena was on her third. I could tell that I was holding her back from having fun, and I felt awful about it. She'd just tried to help, but I didn't feel like being helped.

It had been four months since Travis and I had broken up, and I felt just as terrible as I had that god awful day. We'd been fighting over our busy schedules, fighting over what we prioritized, fighting over things that didn't work, and it had just fallen apart and we hadn't recovered. Almost two years, gone, and here I was as a shell of the woman I used to be. My heart hadn't even started to heal, and I just wanted to go to bed and cry.

"You want to come dance?" Selena asked.

"No, I'm good." I smiled weakly. "You go, I'm going to find the bathroom anyway, and I saw someone I want to catch up with." A lie, but she wouldn't go and have fun if I was doing nothing. "I'll find you okay?"

Selena nodded and smiled, and I turned to go inside as we parted. Putting my drink down on the nearest surface, I moved through the packed bar and found my way down the stairs to the bathroom. I stayed there for a little while, staring at myself in the mirror clad in the simple black dress. Then I turned away, shoving the door open. I wasn't drunk by any means, but my head spun as I walked up the stairs and I slumped against the wall, sitting down on a step and letting my head tip forwards.

"Hey, are you okay?" A soft voice asked. A familiar voice. My head snapped up. "Taylor." Travis breathed when our eyes met, his pale green gaze widening in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Selena dragged me." I mumbled. 

"Well you shouldn't sit there."

"I don't think that's any of your concern anymore Travis, we're not together anymore remember?" Fuck, now I was crying. Sniffing, I wiped my eyes.

"Oh don't cry." Travis shook his head. "If you cry then I'll cry and I told myself I'd cried myself out over you."

"Yeah so did I." I sniffed.

"Come on." Travis held out a hand. "Get some air."

Yeah, that sounded like a great idea. Go on Taylor, take your ex-boyfriends hand and let him take you somewhere you'd probably be alone. Perfect situation to end up in when I missed him like crazy.

I took his hand, and he helped me up off the steps. Travis didn't let go of my hand, instead weaving his fingers through mine as we walked back up to the bar. I ducked my head in case any cameras were around as Travis led me to a back door, pushing it open so that we found ourselves in an almost empty carpark. I sighed at the cool air as Travis closed the door, slumping against the wall and sliding to sit down. He sat down next to me, my hand no longer in his.