10. Twice As Vulnerable

Blazefur's eyes flashed through many different emotions. Shock, anger, and sadness. "There's something wrong with this apprentice! He just killed Stonestripe!" she wailed. "He broke the Warrior Code!"

Lizardstar glared at the apprentice. "His actions are unjust. Tigerpaw told me that he scented ThunderClan on our territory, but he came here and killed an innocent warrior. I'll take him back and make sure he never stops taking care of the elders!"

"You better," Ashstar growled. "Now, leave."

Tigerpaw himself stared out the nursery. "You'll never stop me, Firekit,"

"How do you know my son?" Blazefur screeched. "Ashstar! There's something wrong with him! He knows my son!"

"Yes, there is. Especially by name; I've never mentioned a kit's name at a Gathering before," Ashstar's eyes narrowed. "Lizardstar, you better knock some sense into him."

"Yes, and I apologize for raiding your camp," Lizardstar's eyes closed. "This day has brought forth an unnecessary death,"

Graykit had some flashbacks. Him and Fireheart at the time taking a short-cut through RiverClan territory, very mouse-brained, by the way. Whiteclaw falling off the side of the gorge, his white head bobbing in the water... No, I mustn't distract myself. That was a long time ago, and Whiteclaw himself forgave me. Tigerpaw or one of the other Dark Forest reborns must be getting to me. I can't let myself fall into their grasps; I just hope that Firekit doesn't take the plunge. That would be a fatal blow to our side. Graykit shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"Stonestripe," Firekit stared at where his father had fallen. He was confident that Tigerpaw targeted him to try to break him; he might be able to take over that way.

Firekit, Silverkit, and Oakkit went outside to where their father lay dead. Oakkit sniffed his fur, so did the other two kits. Even if they had only known him for a few moons, they had developed such immense feelings for the gray tom that their hearts snapped. Sure, they had seen cats die before. They had also died before, but they couldn't get over their father's death. Tears streamed from their eyes.

"All cats close to Stonestripe shall remain here and keep vigil for their lost friend or family." Ashstar sighed.

Much to Firekit's surprise, Ashstar settled down next to the fallen warrior. Followed by the elder, Olivecloud. Blazefur was after her. Then, the kits took their place next to their fallen father. Night passed, and the distinct scent of Stonestripe weaved among the cats at the vigil for the very last time.

-

The next morning, the scent of the great gray warrior diminished. All that was left was a cold, dead body. Firekit felt even more tears rise.

Ashstar lifted his head. "Anybody but Firekit, Silverkit, and Oakkit are free to help bury Stonestripe's body."

"Why can't we help?" Oakkit winced at how much he sounded like a kit. Oh, Crookedstar was probably laughing so much up there.

"Kits aren't allowed out of camp until they are six moons old," Ashstar reminded.

"But we're almost six moons old! Five moons is close enough," Silverkit objected.

"Oh, so close, but I cannot let you out," the leader shook his head solemnly.

Ashstar, Blazefur, and even the elder Olivecloud carried the warrior's body out of camp, a body that will never walk, run, climb, talk, or feel ever again.

"Relax, he's in StarClan now," Silverkit told herself.

"I know how you feel," Firekit sighed. "But life goes on."

"I know," she sighed.

"Let's wait for the others to come out," Oakkit trudged behind the nursery.

The three littermates waited in silence behind the nursery, thinking of their father's death.

-

"That plan was most ingenious," Hawkpaw hissed.

"Yes," Tigerpaw nodded. "By killing his father, Firekit is now twice as vulnerable!"

"How did you even know who his father was?" Maplepaw asked.

"Having access to his mind does have its perks," the tabby apprentice smirked.

"Soon, ThunderClan will fall." Darkpaw stated. "It's inevitable, but which clan next?"

Without hesitation, Tigerpaw answered. "WindClan,"

"Hold on," Thistlepaw lashed his tail, "We don't even know if Firekit will fall."

"Are you doubting me?" Tigerpaw snarled.

"No!" Thistlepaw looked offended. "In ThunderClan, I learned to never doubt anything,"

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see," Brokenpaw settled down for the night. "Until then..."

"We train and gain energy," Maplepaw recited.

They slept.

You like? Don't forget to comment!