41. Clovercloud's Kitting

Ravenheart and Hollyleaf darted to their fallen father in a nest outside the medicine cat's den.

"Out of the way!" Brackenfall shooed the two young warriors.

Yellowpaw mouthed I'm sorry behind the ginger tom's back.

The black she-cat just managed to choke down a sob.

"Yellowpaw," Brackenfall turned to his apprentice. "I need cobwebs,"

"Yes," the gray she-cat nodded before she ran into the den.

"Will he be all right?" Ravenheart asked.

The ginger tom looked up at the warrior, completely honest. "I don't know,"

Now, Ravenheart wanted to sob too. Shimmerfire walked up to her kits, tears causing her eyes to glisten.

"Even if he dies," Shimmerfire started. "He will go to StarClan. He did nothing wrong in his life; Beetlebreeze never had the heart to even think about doing anything evil or wrong. But we can't believe he'll die. We just have to know that, if he does pass away, he'll be in a better place."

Hollyleaf and Ravenheart nodded in understanding.

"Now," the former queen continued. "He wouldn't want you to lose sleep over him while he's alive. He once told me that if he was injured like he is now, he would want us to sleep when he died, but if he was dead, his wish was to spend one last night together as a family. Do you understand?" Shimmerfire inquired.

"Yes, Shimmerfire," Hollyleaf agreed.

"Yes," Ravenheart echoed. "But it's not even night yet."

"I get that," Shimmerfire rolled her eyes, "But I'm just warning you,"

That was when Yellowpaw returned.

"Press a cobweb on the head wound." Brackenfall instructed.

Submissive, the gray she-cat continued to place the cobweb on the head belonging to Beetlebreeze. "Is that good?"

"Yes," the ginger tom approved. "Get some horsetail."

Yellowpaw left for the den again.

That was when Beetlebreeze groaned.

"Beetlebreeze?" Shimmerfire whispered.

Hollyleaf and Ravenheart perked up immediately. Their dad was still in this world, and hopefully it would stay that way.

And only after that did Acornwish approach the medicine cat, looking frantic. "Brackenfall,"

"Yes," the ginger tom barely looked up from Beetlebreeze.

"I know you are busy," he was obviously antsy.

"Get on with it!" everyone could now tell where Jayfeather got his grumpiness from.

"Clovercloud's kitting."