12. Tawnybright

This chapter is a little short, sorry!

Thunder boomed all over ThunderClan territory. Lightning struck, freaking Hollykit out. They were almost six moons old, and she was still frightened by thunderstorms. Some lightning came extremely close to the nursery...

Then, it happened. It shot through the nursery and onto the tortishell she-cat known as Tawnybright; calls of alarm shot through the camp. Brackenfall rushed into the nursery. It all happened so fast; you never know when someone will die. Everyone knows that everyone dies, but no one knows when. Tonight, a thunderstorm took a ThunderClan life. Tawnybright fell dead, still protectively holding her kits in her nest. This new-leaf has been harsh: two deaths in about five sunrises. Stonestripe first, then Tawnybright. All Hollykit could remember was the wails of Dustkit and Sandkit acting, although she wasn't sure if they were acting at all.

Jaggedtail shot into the nursery when he recognized his kits wails. Grief-stricken, he stared at his mates body. Tawnybright, the only cat he's ever loved, was up in StarClan; he had to keep reminding himself that she was in a better place. A place of peace, but she wasn't with him. And he needed her. She left him when he needed her; the sweet smell of the fallen queen slowly started to leave the nursery. Leaving all three of her kits, even if Whitepaw was an apprentice, he still came when he heard the wails, and her mate to go up into the stars.

"She's dead," was the only words heard in the nursery from the ginger medicine cat.

"What? No! She can't be dead!" Sandkit wailed, ashamed that she was acting over something like this.

"She's in StarClan now," Jaggedtail stated stiffly, wrapping his tail around Whitepaw, Sandkit, and Dustkit.

Firekit and Silverkit watched the she-cat die, unable to do anything, watching as StarClan claimed yet another ThunderClan life in less than a moon. Grief filled them again as the dying she-cat reminded them of their fallen father. Grief, shock, anger, rage. A familiar mood change.

"There's nothing we can do." Jaggedtail repeated as he lifted up his mates body. "Sandkit, Dustkit, get some sleep. Whitepaw, go to your den. I don't want you grieving out in the cold and rain." he didn't mention that they might die if they did that.

Brackenfall went up to notify Ashstar, and yet another unnecessary death filled the hollow.