42. Do It

Brackenfall almost collapsed. "Yellowpaw," he managed steely. "Do you think you can take care of Beetlebreeze's wounds?"

"Yes." Yellowpaw answered confidently.

"I wish you luck. This is what you've trained for. Focus only on Beetlebreeze. Don't let anyone distract you, and always keep a clear heart and mind." the ginger medicine cat stated dramatically before getting some rosemary leaves from the den.

What am I going to do? the gray apprentice panicked. I can't show my true skills, but if I don't, Beetlebreeze may die. Should I use all my skills and risk being caught? Or should I let him die?

Yellowpaw looked up. There was some cat looking through her eyes and into her soul. Jayfeather...

Do it, he mouthed. Save him. I can't help you. It should be fine; the clan will just see an extremely skilled medicine cat apprentice. I don't think they would want you to go.

Feeling suddenly confident, the gray she-cat looked down at the fallen warrior beside her, examining his injuries. It seemed as if the branch was unusually sharp, like it was cut by a cat or Twoleg. The branch went right down on his head. This must be the work of the Dark Forest.

"Horsetail, cobwebs, marigold," Yellowpaw started to list the herbs that she would need to use in order to heal him. "Dock leaves,"

Dock leaves. The leaves used to remove thorns and splinters from pelts; Yellowpaw started to chew up some of the delicate green leaves. She was careful not to swallow any of the juice because it was needed for Beetlebreeze. Spitting the sour leaves on the black pelt of Beetlebreeze, the splinters from the branch that were stuck in his pelt came loose. The medicine cat apprentice easily took them out. Now, the wound was clear. Yellowpaw could see the indent in his skin where the stick was; it was covered in blood.

Yellowpaw sighed, she needed to lick the wound clear. As soon as her tongue touched the indent, a familiar metallic taste filled her mouth. Blood.

From the nursery, the gray she-cat could hear a cat screaming in pain, followed by a shallow wail. At least somethings going right.

Remembering to focus, Yellowpaw looked at the tom. The bleeding had stopped. She sighed in relief as she finished dressing his wounds. "Now, all we can do is wait and see if he makes it."

Shimmerfire nodded. "I am going to stay here tonight,"

Yellowpaw nodded, "All right,"

"Us too?" Hollyleaf and Ravenheart questioned.

The medicine cat apprentice smirked. "Ask your mother,"

Shimmerfire purred half-heartedly. "I suppose so, I guess."

"Thank you!" the two black warriors settled down beside their mother.

Meanwhile...

Clovercloud was in immediate pain. All she saw was black; she was aware of Brackenfall with her. There was pain, and then there was nothing.

Except for the squeals of three kits.

Comment what ya thought please!!