13. Beetlebreeze in Danger

An even deeper silence filled the hollow as Ashstar rushed out of his den. Rain pouring down, he was drenched instantly. "I know we are all shocked or frightened, but we mustn't let our guard down. This storm has already claimed one ThunderClan life, and it still may claim more," Rockpelt stepped a little bit towards the apprentices den, as if to check on her kits, but right where she was not seconds before, a bolt of lightning landed.

Ashstar stared in horror at where his mate once stood. Well, at least she was safe.

"We shall mourn for Tawnybright tomorrow. She wouldn't want us to mourn for her in the cold." the leader stated.

Everyone left for their nests, in utter shock. One of their own had just passed. Only sunrises after Stonestripe. All of the deaths had something to do with the kits...

Sandkit and Dustkit were huddled together in the nursery, feeling similar to what Oakpaw, Firekit, and Silverkit felt when their father passed. Shimmerfire brought her tail around them and pulled them into her nest; they wanted Tawnybright. This would have to do; at least Ravenkit and Hollykit were there to talk to.

"Guys!" Dustkit hissed.

"What?" Hollykit and Ravenkit inched over to them.

"Have you noticed how both deaths were the deaths of our parents? One could just be a coincidence, but two is rather suspicious," Sandkit explained.

"Who do you think's doing this?" Hollykit asked.

"Probably the Dark Forest," Dustkit shrugged.

"Maybe, but why would you think that?" Ravenkit asked.

"It was Tigerpaw who killed Stonestripe." Sandkit pointed out.

The two black kits winced. "Don't remind us."

"But how did they control the lightning?" Ravenkit questioned.

"Probably some Dark Forest thing. StarClan would never have two ThunderClan deaths in a few sunrises." Dustkit stated.

"Good point," Hollykit agreed.

"Now, why don't we get some rest?" Sandkit suggested.

"That's probably a good idea." Dustkit rolled over.

-

Whitepaw stared at the body of his mother, possibly for the last time. He already missed her, but he had to go out hunting. Softwhisker's orders. He ran out in the forest, trying to clear his head. Trying to make himself forget. Trying to...Trying to...Trying to...

He quickly picked up the scent of mouse. Stalking forward, tail unmoving, he approached his prey. Not letting the mouse know he was there until he was on top of it, he killed it quickly. Sending his thanks to StarClan, he buried it and continued hunting.

Next scent was vole. Then, another mouse. Then, ShadowClan. Then, a rabbit. Wait, ShadowClan?

Burying the prey he had collected, he inched forward. In about two fox-lengths he spotted something that didn't belong. Tigerpaw, Breezepaw, Maplepaw, Hawkpaw, and Brokenpaw were there. It was obvious that Darkpaw didn't come.

"What shall we do next?" Hawkpaw asked.

"Our next target shall be another father." Tigerpaw stated.

"Whose?" Breezepaw inquired.

"Little Ravenkit's and Hollykit's," Tigerpaw chuckled.

Beetlebreeze! The tom was in danger.

"Then, what?" Brokenpaw asked.

"Then, we wait for a little while to see the effects of our work." the tabby tom stated.

Whitepaw raced back into the forest, ready to warn Ashstar. Wait, he couldn't warn Ashstar. That would blow his cover. He prepared to tell the kits and his fellow apprentices.