61. Life

Nothing had really been peaceful during the reborns second lives, but now, the days of the past were considered better than the days of today. From their first day in this new version of the clans they have had to worry about who knew their secret and, of course, the Dark Forest.

Fireheart shook himself. Wow. When he started thinking of the Dark Forest as the good old days, he knew something was wrong.

And when he saw his former daughter dart frantically into the old ThunderClan camp, albeit being escorted by Grassjaw and Acornwish, he thought he was seeing things.

"Leafpool?" Ashstar looked over his shoulder from where he was chatting with Fernfur. "What are you doing here?"

"WindClan is asking for Brackenfall's assistance!" Leafpool breathed deeply.

Great, Fireheart thought. What now?

"What for?" Brackenfall popped out of his den.

"The Twolegs have struck near the Twolegplace, and one of our warriors have been poisoned!" the she-cat explained.

"Which one?"

"...Talltail..."

Fireheart shook his head. Why were the Twolegs only attacking reborns? Why not any other cats? First Ravenheart, then Graystripe and Silverstream, and now Talltail.

Bluefur's head shot up from where she was sitting with Oakheart. Sure, she hasn't always had the...best relations with him, but he was one of the reborns.

As they liked to say, the reborns needed to stick together.

But that was nearly impossible with them scattered throughout all of the clans. There should always be four clans in the forest, but sometimes it was difficult to reach them. That was caused by things such as headstrong leaders.

"Brackenfall!" Ashstar whipped around. "How did you heal Ravenheart? Yarrow?"

"At half-moon, I told the other medicine cats to not use yarrow. When I tried it with Ravenheart...violent things happened, to say the least. I'll go with you." the medicine cat agreed.

"Thank you!" Leafpool felt very thankful.

The medicine cat joined the WindClan she-cat, and Grassjaw and Acornwish started heading back to where they were patroling the border.

At the WindClan camp, things were very peaceful. Harestripe was trying to wake Talltail up with every herb he had that had a...strong odor, to say the least. Mudpelt had been making trips with the wet moss she was told to carry; currently, there was a huge pile of dripping moss near the medicine den. No one had the heart to tell her to stop, though. Antstar was pacing the camp again. After the ordeal, Seedfoot would go down in history for telling the WindClan leader that he paces the camp way too often. Crowfeather was kicking up dirt, much to the dismay of some of the queens.

Yup, very peaceful.

That was before Brackenfall came. As soon as Brackenfall arrived, all of WindClan froze for a second. After that, they all parted like the Red Sea so that the ThunderClan medicine cat could get to Harestripe and Talltail.

Mudpelt came back with another load of moss.

"Well?" Harestripe asked after Brackenfall conducted a thorough inspection of Talltail.

"It appears to be the same poison that affected young Ravenheart. Ravenheart survived, so I don't think that death will be a problem. That is, unless something goes horribly wrong." Brackenfall started.

"I've been thinking about yarrow increasingly."

"Didn't I tell you to avoid yarrow at all costs? In Ravenheart, it caused random outburst of uncontrollable spasms." the ThunderClan medicine cat was stern.

"All right. Avoid yarrow." Harestripe made a mental note of that.

"Let him sleep. Don't let him get up from his nest for anything until he has made a full recovery. Don't let him eat anything with feathers, but I doubt that that would be a problem. Use goldenrod, feverfew, chervil, and chamomile only. Other herbs have rather ghastly results that I will not go into detail about." Brackenfall explains.

"And if those don't work?"

"Come and get me again." the ThunderClan medicine cat nodded before he let Leafpool escort him back to the ThunderClan border.

The WindClan medicine cat repeated the herbs he was instructed to use in his head before going to get the needed herbs.

"Will he live?" Mudpelt demanded.

"Yes."

That caused two things. Mudpelt did stop freaking out, and Antstar stopped pacing the camp.

"And he stops pacing!" Seedfoot sighed with relief. Only seeing your clan leader pace all day gets annoying after a while.

"Now we need to wake him up so he can swallow these things and have some water." Harestripe decided.

The clan nodded.

"Talltail...Talltail." Mudpelt gently moved her son.

He did not respond.

Antstar started prodding him, increasing in strength and speed.

He did not respond.

"You know what?" Crowfeather looked annoyed. "Why don't you just let me do what I do every morning to wake him up?"

"It wakes up the entire camp, ThunderClan, RiverClan, and probably ShadowClan as well." Seedfoot deadpanned.

"But it works!" the black tom looked rather proud of himself.

"Just do it..." Antstar sighed.

Crowfeather approached his brother, and you could see every cat in the entire clan covering their ears with their paws.

"TALLTAIL, WAKE UP!"

The tom jolted awake.

-

"Thank you for escorting me." Brackenfall thanked as he left Leafpool at the border.

She only nodded in acknowledgment before turning and sprinting back to camp. As she went, the medicine cat could hear a rather loud echo, something that had the words Talltail and wake in it. He couldn't really make out the last one, but he could guess what it was.

Sighing, he headed back to camp.

"Brackenfall!" Yellowfang now, as of the last half-moon, greeted. "You missed a lot."

"What did I miss?" the medicine cat looked confused.

"Well," the she-cat laughed nervously. "Sandstorm kitted."

Comment!! :)