24. RiverClan Apprentices

Yellowpaw woke up to the sound of Fernfur organizing patrols. Brackenfall was up and with Emberblaze, Jayfeather, and Firepaw; he looked really hopeful. His mate, Emberblaze, had changed positions during the night! That meant that she's healing, but Jayfeather and Firepaw didn't move at all. Well, they may later, but Brackenfall was planning to check Emberblaze's wounds tomorrow.

The gray she-cat went out to join her mentor. He was peeling off Emberblaze's cobwebs to check the wound.

"Are you sure she's healed?" Yellowpaw questioned, unsure.

"I'm almost positive," Brackenfall answered.

Underneath the layer of cobwebs, a scar showed. It had a little bit of blood on it, and some of the fur was ripped out. But she was healed, more or less. Brackenfall started to lick the leftover blood off of her wound. "She's healed!" the ginger medicine cat sounded very relieved.

"That's great news!" Yellowpaw bounded over. "But what about Jayfeather and Firepaw?"

"I'm sure they'll heal with another day or two, but I can't help that our clan's youngsters are so reckless in their dreams," Brackenfall's whiskers twitched a bit.

The medicine cat apprentice purred. "Firepaw always has been reckless,"

Brackenfall gave her a questioning look. "I know he's been injured in his dream before, but that is not enough information to define him as that."

"Well, uh," Yellowpaw thought, "It was just a thought."

"Uh-huh," the medicine cat nodded.

-

"Let all cats old enough to swim meet beneath the whatever it's called for a clan meeting!" Hopestar called.

The cats gathered. Littlekit, Dovekit, Lionkit, and Ivykit were well-groomed.

"Littlekit, Dovekit, Lionkit, and Ivykit has reached the age of six moons and are ready to be apprenticed." the black she-cat announced. "Dovekit, Littlekit, Ivykit, Lionkit, please come forward."

They did, Littlekit with a huge scowl of confusion on his face.

"Until they day he earns his warrior name, this apprentice will be known as Lionpaw. Sharpwhisker, I trust that you will pass down your knowledge of hunting and fighting to this apprentice." Sharpwhisker and Lionpaw touched noses.

Hopestar turned. "Until she has earned her warrior name, this apprentice will be known as Ivypaw. Smokepelt, I hope you will guide her along that path." The two touched noses.

The black leader turned once more. "Until she has earned her warrior name, this apprentice will be known as Dovepaw. Snowfoot, you are ready for your first apprentice. You had excellent training from Stormstrike, and I hope you'll pass down everything you know to Dovepaw,"

Hopestar turned for the last time. "Until he has earned his warrior name, this apprentice will be known as Littlepaw. Flamefur, you will guide this apprentice to become the best warrior he can be. As my deputy, I trust you with that."

"Littlepaw! Dovepaw! Ivypaw! Lionpaw!" the whole clan cheered.

Mistfur and Stormstrike were the loudests.

Did you like it? Did you hate it? Do you want to feed it to a lion? Do something!