Chapter 28~ You only need me!

Chapter 28

The sound of the familiar voice rang through the air. Immediately your head whipped around to the source quickly followed by the stares of your companions. There he sat on the grand arch outlining the door to the clock tower. In a flash mid-day turned to mid night cloaking the tower in darkness. He sat there lazily leaning against the pale stones that made up the unbelievably tall tower. A wicked grin was plastered to his face as his eerie yellow eyes appeared to glow in the darkness.

"Well that got creepy fast," Zack gawked at the tower. You ignored his statement, caught in a staring contest with the one person you didn't want the boys to see, Vanitas.

"It's rude to keep people waiting ------," Vanitas tutted leaning forward.

"You know this guy?" Axel asked looking between the two of you. You ignored his question not breaking eye contact. Your brain was reeling trying to think of ways to get the boys out of here. This Vanitas guy knew a lot about you and you didn't want him exposing any of your secrets.

"Yeah, me and ------- go way back," he grinned as the boys looked at you sensing your unease. Even Peter stood there cautiously watching.

"Are you the person that's been messing with time on this world?" Gray asked.

"I see you've got more body guards this time," Vanitas ignored Gray still keeping his gaze set to you.

"We're not guards, we're friends," Axel raised a brow clearly curious about your relation to this guy.

"Ha friends," Vanitas spat, "she's got me as a friend she doesn't need a couple weaklings like you."

"I hate to burst your bubble but I don't think she likes you," Zack chimed in looking at the glare you were shooting in Vanitas' direction. Vanitas' grin faltered for a second at Zack's comment before becoming even wider.

"Argh!" Zack screamed in pain behind you. Finally you tore your gaze from Vanitas to see Zack squirming in pain gripping at his arm that was slowly being engulfed by darkness.

"What the hell?" Axel reached out to Zack in an attempt to help him but you shoved him out of the way grabbing Zack's arm yourself. The pain was excruciating as the darkness tried to spread further into his body. You wrapped your hands around his arm and began absorbing the darkness into yourself. Waves of darkness slowly began wrapping around your arm and spreading throughout your body as they receded from Zack.

"What are you doing?" Gray stepped up trying to stop you. You simply turned your head in his direction and he stopped, stunned. You knew what he saw. A pair of jet black eyes staring back at him. The eyes of someone succumbing to the darkness.

"Stop it ------," He yelled at you, fear in his eyes. However by now Zack was cleared of the dark energy. You let go of his arm and his body slumped to the ground. Axel rushed over to check if he was okay as you then expelled the darkness from your own body and into the surrounding environment. The only problem with darkness is that it needs some where to go. With you being a dark mage you couldn't purify it with light meaning it would simply be released into the atmosphere, acting as a heartless hot spot. It wouldn't be long before a lot of heartless would converge in this area.

You looked around at the boys. Gray was just staring at you with a look of confusion as Axel pulled one of Zack's arms over his shoulder to help prop him up, but where was Peter? You twisted back around toward the tower to see Peter making a mad dash toward the tower's entrance which Vanitas was perched over. With a flick of his fingers Vanitas sent a wave of dark magic at the rabbit. Giving yourself a boost with wind magic your body hurtled toward Peter, arms outstretched. You wrapped him in your arms and flew out of the way before the dark wave could get to him.