Chapter 13 ~ Nothing like a moonlit stroll

A/N: Hey guys just a heads up to let you know I’m a big ffx fan and therefore the majority of fiends are probably going to be from there. Have fun reading! … Oh wait probably should warn you there will be violence and blood and what not in this chapter, nothing overly bad but if you’re like super squeamish sorry… any way enjoy!

Chapter 13

The night air was quite cold and you were regretting your decision not to wear a jacket by the time you had reached the west gate. It was dark now. The only light was that of the pale moon shining down creating an ominous shadow stretch out from the tall, rusty, iron fence. You looked around but couldn’t see or sense any shadows in the near vicinity but you could sense something coming from the forest beyond the fence. You made your way to the gate only to discover that it was rusted shut. Great.

“I summon thee ‘Soaring spirit,” you called as a magic circle formed around your hand as your wind blade began to materialise. A long, thin, white, sword with blue carvings up the blade and a hilt in the shape of white feather wings twinkled in the moon light as you held it. You were quite fond of this blade as it came with a rather handy accessory.

“Let my spirit soar,” you called running a hand up the blue carvings which began to glow. In a matter of seconds a flowing white cloak materialised around you. The sleeves flared out from the elbow down, you had a hood which could be tightened by two strings that ended in feathers and from your waist down the fabric of the cloak stopped as the remained was made up of intertwining white feathers that ended about half way down your calves.

You turned around and walked a good twenty metres away from the fence before finally turning back to it. Taking a deep breath you lifted your arms to the side. You were ready. In a flash you were sprinting forward. Faster, faster, faster… and jump. You leapt into the air arms spread gaining altitude, soaring higher, lighter than a feather, freer than a bird. You loved this feeling of the wind rushing past you as you soared through the air. The feeling of freedom, hence the reason for the name of your sword.

You had well and truly cleared the fence and had landed safely on the other side just before reaching the tree line. You dismissed your cloak before looking around and lo and behold there was a shadow just behind the trees. You dashed toward it and with two swift slashes of your blade the shadow was gone. A little further back you saw another and then another. Time to get to work. You grinned to yourself before dashing toward them.

You had been taking down shadows for quite a while now, it turned out there was a whole swarm of them trailing back into the forest. In fact now that you think about it, it’s kind of like they are purposely leading you further away from the school. Couldn’t be, shadows can’t think like that. You shook the thought from your head as you cut down another.

After a few more minutes you found yourself in a small clearing, surrounded by trees on all sides but no shadows in sight. Being the cautious person you are you sent a couple waves of magic out through the forest to check whether there was anything out there but there was nothing. That was a relatively easy night’s work. You thought to yourself as you dismissed your sword. You turned around and began walking out of the clearing when… Wham. Something hard hurled into your side sweeping you off your feet and sending you flying into the nearest tree head first. Your brain rattled in your head as it connected with the tree leaving you extremely disorientated. The skin on your arm was shredded by the tree bark as you slid down resulting in your body slumped to the floor at the base of the tree. You winced at the pain but managed to open your eyes just in time to see a large chimera charging straight for you. Your instincts immediately took over and you rolled to the side just in the nick of time. The chimera head-butted the tree getting its horns stuck as they rammed right through it. Oh how glad you were that wasn’t you. You backed away from it a little trying to clear your foggy head. You couldn’t grasp how it had managed to sneak up on you. You could always sense a fiends presence. Always. Your vision began blurring so you raised a hand to wipe your eyes. Looking back at your hand you noticed it was covered in blood. You raised your hand to your forehead only to discover that the throbbing pain was coming from a large jagged cut.