Chapter 29 ~ No Trust!

Chapter 29

Everything was black. You didn't know how long you'd been out but you just kept praying that robed figure had one, been a good guy and two, had saved you. In your mind you tried to cling to the image hoping to be able to work out who it was but it was like you were looking at them through foggy glass. Your mind started to drift back to reality as a familiar voice broke through your thoughts.

"Is she still alive?" the familiar voice asked full of concern as you felt something soft being put behind your head.

"She's still breathing. Do you think he did anything to her?" you could identify this worried voice as Zack.

"Damn it! I knew we shouldn't have left her alone!" Axel's voice was right by your ear and it sounded pissed. You tried to say some snarky comment back at him but nothing came out. You paused in your thoughts and blocked the boys out as you did a mental assessment of yourself. Nothing felt broken or too painful. This time you just tried to open your eyes and it worked. Although very slowly and the unwelcome brightness made you grimace.

"She's opening her eyes" Gray called to the others as your eyed slowly blinked open to take in his shirtless figure. He was standing in front of where you were laying on the floor. Axel and Zack were both crouched down on either side of you.

"Never do that again!" Axel yelled in your ear, rattling your brain, as he pulled your still slightly limp body into a hug.

"What happened?" you asked somewhat groggily. "Did one of you come after me?"

"When the sun came out again we came out and found you laying there." Gray answered with a worried expression etched into his face. Axel was still holding you in a warm embrace that you didn't think would end anytime soon. You looked around to find yourself back outside the clock tower where you had left the boys and peter.

"Wait, where's Peter?" you finally took notice if his absence.

"His still inside with Alfred, the watch maker guy," Zack answered this time.

"What about the monster in the tower? What happened with that?" you pressed.

"It'll probably be easier to show you." Zack rubbed at the back of his head.

"Come on," Axel finally let you go and helped you up before reaching back down to grab Gray's shirt and passed it to him. It didn't look like he was going to put it back on but he eventually pulled it over his head.

You were a little wobbly on your legs and desperately wanted to know what had happened to Vanitas after you'd passed out but you decided that this problem had to be dealt with first. Zack lead the way as the rest of you followed him into the tower. You were walking by yourself but you could feel all of them sending you glances, watching just in case you stumbled and they had to jump into action and catch you. They were way too over protective but you weren't going to reprimand them just yet. That could wait until after all the tension and worry had died down.

You stepped into the tower and let out an exasperated sigh at the sight of a massive spiral staircase twisting up the walls, with a teeny tiny door in the distance. You cleared your throat and got ready to do a wind spell to take you to the top. Gray obviously knew what you were about to do as he stepped forward placing a hand on your shoulder.

"I've got this one," he gave a smile. You paused a moment before shrugging and stepping back, curious to see what he'd do. He'd obviously done it before as the other boys knew what to do standing next to him, Zack tugging you closer to them too. You watched as a large magic circle formed beneath the four of you as Gray used two handed ice maker magic. An ice platform appeared beneath you, rising at an increasing rate until you reached the top of the tower, coming to an abrupt halt.